Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
AES

Reply with quote  #31 
Again +1 for Bad Bob's comment.

Except that when I first got mine, I did change the position (WITH the Manual in my hand!!) just to find out if moving it made any difference.

You're right, rotating it does increase the backwards/forwards movement of the blade. I found mine to have been perfectly set up before leaving the factory so I moved it back to where it was, locked it up in that position, made a small mark to show where, and haven't moved it since.

However, I do disagree about speed. I often bring my speed right down, depending on what I'm cutting. But I guess that's just a matter of personal "style".

Agree with you both about the Excali - about the best thing since sliced bread (as far as I know, Delta saws are not available here - Switzerland - either). 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #32 
I had a chance to buy a Hegner Multimax 18-V Variable Speed 18" Scroll Saw today for $500. It looked like it was new. I was all excited and and read to buy it when I watched a video about the blade changes. After that $500 didn't look so good and I passed. These saws sell for $1500.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #33 
Well, I think you missed a great bargain there BadBob - by European standards anyway.

Hegner saws are highly regarded by just about everyone, everywhere, and apparently they last a lifetime. The only problems are:

1. WELLl over-priced - including spare parts;

2. No tilting head (like Excali and new Jet have);

3. When I had the chance to try a new Hegner alongside an Excali before buying, I also found the blade changing a little "bothersome" compared to the Hegner.
BUT plenty of people have told me since that changing blades on the Hegner is just a "knack" that one soon gets used to.
Maybe. I don't regret choosing my Excali v the Hegner for 1 minute, but I think we'd both have to agree that compared with all the blade changing palaver on the cheapo machines, as discussed earlier in this thread, the Hegner is miles and miles better.

Anyway, you've passed on that bargain, so no loss for you.

The only thing I would point out to others reading this thread that although it suffers from the disadvantages I listed above, the Hegner is NOT a machine that someone looking to improve on their present machine should pass up - and certainly NOT at 500 bucks for a new/nearly new machine!!!

So with respect, I disagree Bob.

Rod T

Reply with quote  #34 
Yes, changing the motor position changes how much the blade moves backwards and forwards as it is going up and down. 
I have mine set so it is the least amount of movement, so the least aggressive. 
Makes it better for tight radius cuts, but I haven't changed it since I set it there when I bought it.
Maybe more aggression helps with thick wood.

Still have to experiment with this and the speed.

Cheers
Rod T

kstano83

Reply with quote  #35 
I´d like to thank everyone involved in helping me out. I just ordered Exminster EX-21 csroll saw. I still have a bit of weird feeling because of the price, as it was nearly 3x more expensive than the proxxon I got first, but  hope it will pay off.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #36 
I think your going to like this one. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.