Author   Comment  
jjk

Reply with quote  #1 
I just wondering what people do, if they glue there plans to the wood then cut or  measure the dimensions on the wood. What is the best way to go. As with my trucks I measured the dimensions. But then if you glue how do you removed all the paper after cutting.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Great question. I use either clear packing tape or masking tape to tightly cover the wood. I then spray 3m adhesive to the back of the printed pattern and adhere it to the wood. After the wood is sawn to shape I peel off the pattern. This leaves no residue on the wood and is a quick and easy method for me.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi jjk,
Both methods work , it depends on the complexity of the part.
 If I am scroll-sawing, I do as John suggested, apply packing tape and spray craft glue then stick on the paper patterns. Peeling off the tape later is easy and clean.
If I am making simple rectangle pieces, I usually just measure them out and cut
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #4 
I spray glue the plans to 1/4" mdf , cut them out and use them for patterns
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #5 
I use painter's blue tape on the wood.

Then spray the back of the pattern with temp adhesive.

Then I put the pattern on the blue taped wood.

Then I put clear packing tape over the pattern. (This will help lubricate the blade.)

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
jjk

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you for the reply. I will go with the painters tape on the board first.
eburres

Reply with quote  #7 
Another way, which is cheaper than using blue painter's tape, is to use clear shelf liner, the kind that is adhesive. It's very cheap and lasts a long time. You use it instead of the painter's tape. Put it on the piece of wood then use spray adhesive to put the pattern onto it. It also helps lubricate the blade just like the clear packing tape does. It peels off very easily with no residue left behind. I don't use anything else now.
Rolls are easy to find. I got one roll at a Wallmart store. I bought a roll on Amazon. It cost $6.00 and is 18" wide by 9' long. You just can't beat it for cost.

adeafguy

Reply with quote  #8 
I use a methods already named.  But, I also use carbon paper.  For those younger than my 79 years some stores call it copy paper.  Then sand off the marks.

Reply with quote  #9 
I will use carbon paper too if the design is a simple one. It works very well and is a much simpler method. I have a friend who only uses carbon paper, but he's an artist so his hand is very steady. Mine is not that steady for intricate patterns. 
rdredge

Reply with quote  #10 
I use full sheets of Avery removable paper.  Gives you a perfect pattern to cut and peels off great with no residue.

Rose

You can never have too many clamps!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.