Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
G'day everybody
Here's a handy tip for people who use dowel for axles or even for dowel joints. You'll need a pair of pliers with the inbuilt round 'toothy' bit. This particular top quality tool (yeah, right) was from a junk shop.
Cut your dowel to the required length then take the pliers and carefully (read 'very gently') squeeze the dowel. You are only trying to make a dent, not totally squish it flat. This will greatly increase the surface area of the dowel making it less likely for the wheel or whatever to become detached [cool]

Whilst you're there you could probably do your own cuticle job too. But I digress.
pliars.jpg 
The end result should be a small circle of dents around each end and neat enough not to split the dowel. The dents are highlighted in case you are reading this on your phone in the bright sun or something [wink]
Also, I don't have a weird skin disorder, my fingers have dried glue on them. Doesn't everybody's?
pliars2.jpg 
You can buy pre-dented dowel but these are (usually) the wrong size for the wheel that you are using, I'll bet.
Enjoy [thumb]

Reply with quote  #2 
Question Doc

First, your fingers look normal to me.  That is why i use Cynthia's beeswax/mineral oil on my hands before going in the house to play with my favorite toy, Susie.

Oh, I did have a question:  When you use your high tec tool on the dowels to increase the gluing surface, does this effect the round smooth fit of the dowel to the wheel axle hole?
Seems like the fit would not be round anymore.
Or do yo stay back from the end just a bit to keep the round shape of the dowel round?  I like to have a clean fit dowel to axle hole, because I usually paint the end of the dowel to match the color of the vehicle.

Dumb question I know, but I am full of them.

Thanks for the post.

Doc

Reply with quote  #3 
G'day Ken
The answer is yes, I think [smile]
If I'm using them somewhere like in a dowel joint, it's all the way to the end, but for wheel axles I will stay back a bit BUT I often find that if I use wheels from bigger dowels (I'll put a piccy up later) I only drill partway into the wheel.

Not a dumb question, at all mate [thumb]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.