Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
G'day all.
Thought I'd share my wheel peg cutting/trimming jig with you all.
The idea was to make it easier for me to cut bought wheel pegs down to size in order for them to fit better within my toys.

001 (Medium).JPG Start by grabbing a couple of pieces of scrap from the 'projects-in-waiting' box and sticky tape the two together temporarily.

002 (Medium).JPG
Drill a series of holes right through the top piece but only a few millimetres into the bottom piece.
This allows the head of the peg to rest in the hole. I'll call this the lid.
Countersink or just drill with a larger bit the holes to fit the end of the pegs.

003 (Medium).JPG
When placed in their holes the pegs should not spin or move when the 'lid' is attached.

004 (Medium).JPG
Attach screws to hold the two pieces of wood together now, with the pegs inserted into their holes.

005 (Medium).JPG
You should end up with a series of pegs with bits hanging out ready to be chopped off.

006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG 008 (Medium).JPG
Proceed to chop said ends off on your bandsaw, scroll saw, hand saw or even sander. I suppose teeth could be used at a pinch [cool]

009 (Medium).JPG
End result is a collection of shorter pegs ready to use - note the original size peg on the right.

010 (Medium).JPG You are now ready to attach your wheels or whatever without running the risk of having the pegs push each other out of their holes.

011 (Medium).JPG
When you have finished making your jig be sure to scribble a label on it so you know what it's for - I can't be the only one who finds weird bits of wood around that were obviously created as a jig for some prior job but have now forgotten what the jig does!!!
I suppose piccies would be a good reminder too along with instructions on using them [biggrin]
Hope you find this a bit useful [thumb]
It took longer to type this up than it did to make the jig.

Reply with quote  #2 
Doc - What a great tip, I'm going to print that one out and add it to my binder. Thanks.
Doc

Reply with quote  #3 
You're most welcome Udie - consider it part payment for all your tips [wink]

Reply with quote  #4 
This is a great tip, Doc. Thanks for sharing. I need something like this as I'm having issues with getting my wheels right.

Lloyd
Doc

Reply with quote  #5 
Must admit, I 'discovered' this idea after gluing up some wheels on one side of a toy then noticing that when I pushed the peg into the other side, it pushed the wheel out too far [confused]

You live and learn, hey [cool]

Reply with quote  #6 
Full marks for that idea Doc I'll use that one. thanks for sharing.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
caveman_fred

Reply with quote  #7 
Fantastic jig idea doc ,I'm gonna build one thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.