Author   Comment  
denis_muras

Reply with quote  #1 
Afternoon,

I just wanted to put a few pictures here of my Dodge A100 Drag build.  I did not want to wait on wheel to arrive, so I make my own. I use a hole saw to cut the rough blank and turn them to size on a small Unimat lathe, see the picture. I even made rims in the tires. I used poplar with the initial intent on painting but decided to keep it mean and green. Instead of using axle pegs, I used a dowel to mount the wheels. Whatever works for you and you are familiar with.

Dodge 1.jpeg  Dodge 2.jpeg  Dodge 3.jpeg  Dodge 4.jpeg  I thought about making it a V-8...Dodge 5.jpeg  Dodge 6.jpeg  Dodge 7.jpeg  For the tailgate, I added pieces to keep the tailgate supports to stop the tailgate flush..Dodge 8.jpeg  Dodge 9.jpeg  Dodge 10.jpeg  My wheel making process. I am turning the inside of the blank for the rim.Dodge 12.jpeg  Turning the rims...Dodge 13.jpeg  Finished rims. I need to turn the rims to the proper length.Dodge 14.jpeg  Dodge 15.jpeg  Looks Fast!! Dodge 16.jpeg  Dodge 17.jpeg I remember some of these van/trucks. Long time ago...

LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #2 
Very Nice
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Holy Cow! This is the best ever I have seen of this. You eclipsed any building I have done. This is a masterpiece. Just wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration and the great photos. I really needed this boost today.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #4 
Great build my friend ... craftsmanship plus!!

Tony
Wombat

Reply with quote  #5 
That is a fine piece of work Denis.
When you work as precisely as that, it would be a shame to cover it over with paint.
I am envious of your source of wood.
denis_muras

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the kind remarks.

I try to have fun when I am building and this was an in between project. I will probably use it as an attention getter at shows, woodworking and craft sales.

When we have show and tell at our club meetings, if we ever have them again, is always a great conversation starter, and a way show what can be done.
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #7 
Great job Denis. I really like the detail you put into this especially the tires and wheels. I am in the process of building the street pickup version but have not done much on it lately. This is what I needed to get the interest back to finish mine. Great pictures too.
Jim
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
It's been a long time since I have seen a Unimat.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Peter V

Reply with quote  #9 

I had a Unimat SL, bought in Japan. Was working on 110V while in EU it is 220V. Therefore, I sold it and bought a second-hand metric Myford ML 7, one of the last produced. 

Myford ML7 Lathe Serial Number K100468 - YouTube

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSCN0274.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 184.95 KB 

Peter V

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #10 
Fantastic little lathes. That steam engine is amazing. I have wanted to build one of these  for the last 60 years! Thanks for sharing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.