Author   Comment  
Bill N

Reply with quote  #1 
I am working on the powerful Pete truck and I use double stick tape on the small pieces so that I can cut more than one piece at a time. My problem is, I am having trouble removing the sticky glue between the pieces of wood. Is there any technique or tip I can use to get the sticky glue off of the wood?
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #2 
Hot glue comes off much easier

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N
I am working on the powerful Pete truck and I use double stick tape on the small pieces so that I can cut more than one piece at a time. My problem is, I am having trouble removing the sticky glue between the pieces of wood. Is there any technique or tip I can use to get the sticky glue off of the wood?

Have you tried heat? 

Some of this stuff sticks really well you need to use as small a piece as you can get away with. Mineral spirits will remove residue from the tape I have. 

I use carpet tape for stack cutting on my scroll saw. I don't use the kind that is made from foam. Only the thin stuff. I don't like using hot glue for this because it tends to create a large gap between the pieces and it can be difficult to get it even so the pieces are square to each other.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bill N

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for or the reply. I am not using the heavy duty carpet double stick tape but, medium duty double stick tape. I get it from the Ace Hardware store down the street from me. I am interested in how Daniel L uses hot glue to bond his pieces together before Scroll sawing. Do they come apart easily? Is there a large gap between the pieces? Does the hot glue clean off of the wood easily?
KenFM

Reply with quote  #5 
Bill N
Put masking tape down first on both sides then the double sided sticky tape The masking tape will remove very easy after you have completed your cuts
Ken
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Bill  On two or More parts I will use hot glue . I will put a spot of glue 3 or 4 spots put the pieces together then cut and sand. this way both pieces are the same. If you put the on  glue then press them together firmly you will have very little to no gap. After I have a wide putty knife i slide between and the come apart very easy the just peel of the glue.

Reply with quote  #7 
don't forget to put painters tape on before you use hot glue  the tape comes off easy and the hot glue wont full up wood  fibers
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #8 
I use hot melt glue for chucking points on my wood turning once the part is turned to remove the glue pop it in a microwave oven for a very short time to heat up the glue the parts then part easy as well as removing the glue.

Reply with quote  #9 
For the residue left from double stick tape heat it up with a hairdryer and then rub an eraser over it.

Reply with quote  #10 
Great idea about the painters tape KenFM! I never thought of that and will definitely use it going forward
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.