Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
I've just started looking at 3D CAD programs, with a view to creating some of my own designs and wondered what others here use? I've downloaded Sketchup Make, which looks promising, as well as another free program called 3DSlash, which loooks less so!
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Tom,
Sketchup is very popular. Its a simple to use (CSG) Constructive Solid Geometry Tool ( make things by adding block together) with some lofting capability (draw a shape and drag it along a curve like squeezing tooth paste from a tube). I have it and its very easy to use with a number of good tutorials on the web.
However, I created a model of a Forklift truck (copied from a plan book I have) but unfortunately I could not work out How to print off the drawing full size. Hence my model was of no use  as I wanted to use the drawings  as template. Reading up on the web this appears to be a common problem to which I could not find a simple solution. There may be one and I missed it but if it is true then its a serious limitation. 
If you have a solution let me know as I like Sketchup
I have also tried Freecad which is similar. 
Years ago (over 25) I taught AutoCAD to university students. If you were a student you can get a free copy at the moment. Obviously things have moved on quite a bit since my day

Keith
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Keith,
  Thanks for that, I have also read a fair bit about printing issues and the only good solution I found was for the pro version only, not something I'm ready to pay for, at least for now! I played about a bit with trying to print a very simple picture and felt I was starting to get somewhere, but it may still be a killer limitation. I will certainly update this thread if I find a good solution.

Tom

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.