Author   Comment  
Peterb803

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad, about this tool...???
Thank you,
PB
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
PB
I have had one for many years and still have it and love it.
Great on twist bits and even concrete bits.
I have also put new points on broken drill bits.

But think about this - once you have sharpened all you bits - then what.
The drill doctor goes back into the cupboard for many months if not longer.
It really pays off if you are doing quite a lot of drilling, not just in wood but steel, aluminum, tile etc.
And I mean a lot of drilling.
If you are doing a lot of house construction, building decks and stuff like that, sharpening commonly used sizes it will save you money but only after many, many years.

I've got sets of drills in the house workshop, garage workshop, cottage, etc.
When drilling into cold steel a lot, it is quite easy to heat the drill to a point that using the drill doctor on it does sharpen the tip, but the drill bit has already been softened by over use.
Cheaper to buy a new drill bit.

Today I use a lot of brad bits and Forstner bits for my wood working and toy making.
I do not spend the time hand sharpening these, I just replace them.

Think about how many times you will be using it vs the cost of buying a new drill bit.

That's my two cents worth.

Peterb803

Reply with quote  #3 
thank you Udie,

I expected more people to have comments....maybe the machine is less popular than I thought.

Anyway, I will do 95% wood drilling, so  I have decided to replace all of my twist bits with an American Made set.
I may still get the Drill Doctor.....seems like a good tool.
pb
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a Proxxon drill sharpener and although it is wonderful German precision if I was to do an ROI the answer would be simple! I too tend to use brad-point bits and Forster bits so the machine just sits there! I trip to the local Bunnies provides me with a new bit when I desperately need one of the conventional bits.

Great machine though!!
xihunter

Reply with quote  #5 
My Dad has a Drill Doctor and he loves it.  He has sharpened all kinds of bits for himself and me.  He even sharpened a whole set of drill bits for me that belonged to my grandfather (his dad) so that I could have a whole nice set of regular drill bits instead of having to dish out major money for one.

If you are drilling a lot of steel or through wood that has a hard surface on the backside that you are consistently hitting, the Drill Doctor is worth the money.  If you are using mostly brad point or forstner bits, not so much.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I have found that having a very sharp bit is often the solution to drilling smooth holes in difficult wood. A recent problem I had with wood tearing out with brad point bits taught me that a very sharp twist drill is some times exactly what is called for. I added a Drill Doctor to my wish list.

Buying single bits instead of sharpening will work for common sizes but try to do this with a letter or number size. I use these to get exact fits. I only know one place where I live that I can buy these as individual bits.

When figuring out cost you should also count what it costs to get the bit. AAA says average cost to drive is $0.58/mile. It's about 10 miles round trip to Home Depot from my shop. That's $5.80 + $5.47 = $11.27 for a Milwaukee 1/4 inch bit. It will take me at least an hour to go get the bit. How much is an hour of your life worth? At this cost the cheapest on Amazon Drill Doctor will pay for itself with the sharpening of 5 quality 1/4 drill bits.

Habor Freight sells 1/4 inch bits in six packs for $6.99. I I have some of these and they are not near as good.

Looking at Amazon Prime the only quality bits I found that were not add on items were in the $7 to $10 range and I I have a day at least to wait for them.

Larger bits are even more expensive and my truck costs more to drive than the average. If I buy the most expensive Drill Doctor and use it about ten times I got my money back.

I just convinced myself to bump this to the top of my wish list.

Peterb803

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks guys.....lots of good points presented.

as far as DD.....is the $125-130 (Amazon price) any better than the $50 version...???
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, I think the $130 version is much better. The DD750X sharpens up to 3/4 inch bits, sharpens/grinds split point bits and 115º to 140º. While the DD350X only sharpens up to 1/2 inch and doesn't sharpen split point bits. If you don't need any thing bigger than 1/2 inch or the extended tip angles go for the 500X.

Go to the company web site and look at the comparison chart for details.

If you don't know, they have documents on the web site that explains what a split point bit is. Once you read that you will know why you might want them.

Peterb803

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks BB.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.