Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks to each of you for your input on shop tools. I like the DeWalt contractor saw idea. Could you post a photo of your island setup Trav?
Trav

Reply with quote  #17 
That’s it. Nothing too fancy. My planer and other large tools fit down under the island.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 6F67B33F-9AFF-436F-A0A4-E4AF5E59BA46.jpeg, Views: 51, Size: 1.52 MB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #18 
I consider that shop extremely pro Trav. I wish I could get my new shop to that level. My shop was never this cool. Thanks for sharing.
retired13

Reply with quote  #19 
Great looking shop. I am cramped in my shop.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #20 
Another vote for the DeWalt - don't often have need for it but it REALLY performs when I need it!!

T
1948CaseVAI

Reply with quote  #21 
"I wish my drill press was smaller..."  said no one ever.
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
I consider that shop extremely pro Trav. I wish I could get my new shop to that level. My shop was never this cool. Thanks for sharing.

John
One suggestion I would make for your new shop is to put everything on wheels. I have found this very helpful in a small (2 car garage) shop. 
Dennis

Reply with quote  #23 
+1 for the wheels.

Good wheels. Double locking casters or some sort of retracting caster. You don't want anything with sharp spinning things moving while you are using it. 

Bigger is better. Little wheels will stop turning when the hit a tiny obstruction. Like a little piece of wood.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

retired13

Reply with quote  #24 
Iagree with Bad Bob put as much as possible on wheels. Sometimes it is a chore , but equiptment that is not used very often this is a good alternave. I have my drum sander on wheels and roll it out when needed, basement. Garage , I have my planer on wheels, I use this mostly in good weather, as the planing is done outside.
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #25 
Trav, I sincerely think the most important items to think about FIRST are 2 things,   Air conditioning/heat and the scavenger system to be vented outside.  Then think about tool placement.  If you install an overhead room air filter also be sure that you turn in on AFTER you leave shop or make sure it is not blowing in your face.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #26 
My room air filter is on a timer and it automatically switches on after the machinery power is switched off. Stays on with a timer for 1.5hrs usually. Its amazing how much 'fines' are in the filter when I clean it.
Nothing like protecting the lungs - also beats it all settling down in between jobs.
Mine is a Jet spin off and one of the best items I have in the shop.

T  
Trav

Reply with quote  #27 
AC is not an issue where I am although I might install a wood stove in there for winter months.

Sadly I have no filter system yet. And I wish I did. My shop has a garage door which I leave open when I work. That's about it.

The tools that give me the biggest mess are the table saw, mitre saw and the planer. I've ordered one of those cyclone units that you can attach to the top of a garbage can and then run to the shop vac. It should arrive today according to amazon. It'll be a nuisance to switch it between tools but I'm hoping it'll cut down a lot on the dust. I'd like to get a more professional dust collector down the road but I have so many other tools I want to get 😉

retired13

Reply with quote  #28 
Have you tried a box fan with a furnace filter attached to the suction side? It works faifly well for me. Chech Craigslist for a used dust collector. I have bought 3 of the at different times. Most of the timethey only need a good cleaning and a filter.
Trav

Reply with quote  #29 
No, but I've seen pictures of that before. I'll have to keep an eye out for a box fan. It's yard sale season here.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.