Author   Comment  
kstano83

Reply with quote  #1 
There are 3 drill presses I´m thinking of. They are all the same brand, made in Czech republic. It´s actually the only maker I can get in my country if I want "affordable" quality. 
The pages are not available in English but can be google translated. They are in metric and  euro but I did some calculations to make it easier for you 😉

1.) https://www.bow.sk/produkt/3003015/stolova-vrtacka-optidrill-d-23-pro-230-v

760 USD
Bench top version. Small, light but I should not have a (big) problem with space in my shop  
Drilling depth: 3.14"
Swing: 14"
12 speed: 200-2440 rpm

2.) 
https://www.bow.sk/produkt/3003030/stlpova-vrtacka-optidrill-d-26-pro

880 USD
Floor model. Well, obviously bigger and a bit heavier. Slightly deeper drilling depth and bigger swing. 
Drilling depth: 3.34"
Swing: 16,5"
12 speed: 200-2440 rpm

3.) 
https://www.bow.sk/produkt/3003040/stlpova-vrtacka-optidrill-d-33-pro

1230 USD
Big, heavy, much deeper drilling depth and swing
The biggest of the three. 
Drilling depth: 4.72"
Swing: 20"
9 speed: 120-1810rpm

First I thought about getting the no.3, the biggest and heaviest, but isn´t it a bit overkill for toymaking and egneral woodowrking? On the other side, I think drill press is the machine I should not save money on. 
Maybe I would be ok woth 16,5" swing of the drill press no.3, but will the drilling depth be enough? What is the biggest drilling depth you have ever needed to make toys from this site? 
All of the three drill presses will take the smallest and the biggest drill bits I´ll ever use. 

Your thoughts?

griff2379

Reply with quote  #2 
A further consideration is the speed range and either 1 or 2 will be more useful for small holes. I have a small bench machine as 1 and have used it well. You have the space for 2 then that would be my choice.
Enjoy your making
Griff
JvD

Reply with quote  #3 
Dear members of the forum: Can someonr explain to me why WABECO is not considered. You will have the free choiche to fit any machine 
EcurbYtlew

Reply with quote  #4 
Sir, I got lost at "affordable" and "quality". Are you going to be making toys professionally? I am in the USA, and a table top drill press adequate for hobby toy making is less than $70 https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drills-drivers/drill-presses/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html . Granted, the "run-out" on this is going to be much greater than would be desirable in a precision metal fabricating shop. But you are drilling a substance that has inherent movement. A hole that one day may be "perfectly" round, 3 days latter may be measurably oblong or skewed front face to back face. Amazon-UK probably ships to Czech, possibly with no tariff problem?

Reply with quote  #5 
I just got rid of a Harbor Freight table top drill press a month ago because it was to small. Not enough depth, the chuck was not changeable, and would not hold the tiny bits I use sometimes. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kstano83

Reply with quote  #6 
WABECO is just a drill stand  to me. Any hand drill I would put into it would sooner or later get so much run-out that it would not be usable. It´s exactly the situation I´m currently in. 

If I needed a drill press from a supermarket (including Amazon), I would not bother posting here. The drill presses I listed are German quality that is made in China. That is what I call "affordable quality". If I was looking for a quality drill press it would be a German brand made in Germany and would be two or three times more expensive. That´s how it goes in Europe.

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #7 
If you can get them - you could try the Proxxon range out of Germany - beautifully made and very low quill movement.
Tony
kstano83

Reply with quote  #8 
I can, but those are too small and too expensive.
My question was more about the size.  Should I pay extra for the biggest drill press I listed to get 4"+ drilling depth or not. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstano83
My question was more about the size.  Should I pay extra for the biggest drill press I listed to get 4"+ drilling depth or not. 

Unfortunately, you are the only one that can answer that question. Why? Because you are the only one that knows what your needs are.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

EcurbYtlew

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

What size toys are you making? In other words, how many times a year do you plan on drilling 4 inch deep holes? If it is less than 100 then reset your table after the first pass. Granted, your bit will be in the hole already at this point. In the States, without special ordering twist drill bits less than 3/8" are less than 4 inches long anyway.
And referring back to my original question are you doing this as a professional or as a hobbyist? If you are a pro can you get tax credits for your investment? If you are a hobbyist is your desire just to have the biggest tool?

Reply with quote  #11 
I´m currently making puzzles but I´d like to start with cars and trucks. I went through plans I have purchased from this site and the first one I opened was this one:
https://toymakingplans.com/build-big-toy-trucks-for-table-saws/
which requires 3 1/2" deep holes for axles. The no.2 drill press I listed would not make it. I know the plan may be one of 100 with such deep holes or I can scale it down but it´s making me uncomfortable 😉. 
Toymaking has been my second job for almost a year so yes, I can put the cost of the drill press in my company which would lower my taxes.
JvD

Reply with quote  #12 
You do not need to drill 4 inches, 100 mm. I had the same problem when I was working on other big toys. The parts of witch the toys are madr of, are very heavey, to havey for small children. I started to make those blocks lass havey, by using a forster dril 40 mm, and making a slotted hole in the bootom side of the big blocks. The remaining wall is something like 30 mm, so you have to drill 35 mm in each side. If you put a little pin, fixed to the drill press in the axel hole you have a template and your axel will fit.
EcurbYtlew

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
I´m currently making puzzles but I´d like to start with cars and trucks. I went through plans I have purchased from this site and the first one I opened was this one:
https://toymakingplans.com/build-big-toy-trucks-for-table-saws/
which requires 3 1/2" deep holes for axles. The no.2 drill press I listed would not make it. I know the plan may be one of 100 with such deep holes or I can scale it down but it´s making me uncomfortable 😉. 
Toymaking has been my second job for almost a year so yes, I can put the cost of the drill press in my company which would lower my taxes.

Ahhhhh! lucid answer. Thank you. If you have a lathe you may be able to overcome the depth issue without an extravagant expense. When I was an actual machinist....1976, for deep bores I'd use a lathe. Just a thought. Another idea, for the axle hole set up a fixture for the hole. Drill a pilot hole 2-3mm as deep as the bit is, flip the part and drill the opposite side. The amount of error should be negligible. the main bore will wipe out any misalignment. I suspect that that condition would be less than 0.5mm. Oh, I would still drill from both sides, even if I had sufficient throw to get it in one pass. That keeps tear-out to a minimum.

Reply with quote  #14 
Buy once, cry once, right? I just placed an order on the drill press no. 3, the biggest one I listed. Thank you guys. I can´t wait.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Buy once, cry once, right? I just placed an order on the drill press no. 3, the biggest one I listed. Thank you guys. I can´t wait.

+1 Come back and let us know how you like it. I don't think you will regret it.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.