Author   Comment  
kstano83

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm considering getting a planer with a helical head but I'm worried about my shop vac being too underpowered for dust collection. The outlet diameter of the planer is 4" and the house pipe off my shop vac is 1 3/8". Would I get decent suction (enough that it would not clot) if i used a cyclone separator? I know It may not be the best solution, but I can't imagine buying a dedicated dust collector for money and space reasons.
harry

Reply with quote  #2 
I am not sure how big your shop vac is , I have a planer with a 4” port and my shop vac would never handle the chips without plugging the hose. I have mine hooked directly to my dust collector. Plan on emptying your shop vac frequently. The helical head simply makes for a cleaner cut supposedly.
Trav

Reply with quote  #3 
Kstano83, that's the setup I used this past summer. Honestly, I'm not impressed. The cyclone separator works ok with my table saw but not so great with the planer. I think I'm going to have to buy something a little better specifically for the planer.
Trav

Reply with quote  #4 
Also, I find the efficiency of the cyclone separator to be grossly overstated. Expect to get a lot of chips in your shop vac. I'd go with a metal garbage can to attach the cyclone to. I used a plastic garbage can I had laying around and the suction was enough to collapse it so I had to reinforce it with lengths of wood on the inside.

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #5 
I agree with the other posters.  I've attempted to use my planer with the cyclone separator and shop vac setup and found that the force of the output from the planer messes up the air flow in the cyclone and half of the chips/dust ended up in the shop vac.  I don't have a dust collection system yet, so I'm not sure how that would work, but I can also attest that I've had minimal success with the planer-cyclone-shopvac setup.
Martin L

Reply with quote  #6 
I am rather fortunate that I have large shop (6mt. X 6.2mt.) and it, is at, times not enough.  Whether you have room or not one should make room for a larger dust extractor mine is mobile and the footprint is 560mm X 850mm X 1.9mt.(height) it is powered by a 2hp single phase motor and has 2 100mm intake ports or 1 125mm intake port.  It is setup in a corner and ducted to all 7 stationary machines, with the use of blast gates, I also, with this set up, can run 2 machines at once with no noticeable drop in suction. Now with a shop vac I would keep that for use with hand held machinery and spend the money on a larger and better machine.  Even if you were purchase a 1hp system you would notice a big difference in chip removal and the removal of dust in your workshop.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.