Author   Comment  
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #1 
A friend of mine has a grandson that is in love with the Planes movie by Disney.  His favorite character is Dusty Crophopper, so I made this for him for Christmas.  I think it was a hit!

IMG_0415.jpg  IMG_0416.jpg  IMG_0418.jpg  IMG_0617.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
You nailed the design and also created a beautiful model/toy in the process. The grandson sure does look proud of his new playmate!
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
Brilliant!

Reply with quote  #4 
Beautiful.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Wombat

Reply with quote  #5 
Jason,
 That is one fine piece of work! You really have paid homage to Disney's design.

Thanks for the pre-finished pics, as they show that you (a)  know the value of liberal application of fine sandpaper works wonders even on pine, and (b) you chose and shaped the pieces with the grain running for maximum strength.    ( I assume that the wheel legs are two pieces?)

The paintwork is also crisply executed.

Thanks for setting the bar high and showing us all what to aspire to.

Can you offer advice on shaping the fuselage?
eg did you cut the elevation profile before the plan profile or vice-versa, and on what tool?

Alan
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for the kind comments!  Most of the toy was made from a standard pine (or softwood) 2 x 4 stud that we can get a a home supply store here in the US.  I did cut the profile for each piece first on the bandsaw and then I used a Dremel tool to round things over and get it into the shape that I wanted.  I had a drum sanding attachment on the Dremel with a coarse grit sleeve to do most of the "carving".  I then progressed to finer grit sleeves on the Dremel to get the smaller details.  Finally, I sanded (a lot) everything with regular sandpaper (from 80 grit up to 400 grit) to prepare the surface for the paint.

I didn't take pictures of the build process, but will next time I do something like this.

Thanks again!

Jason
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #7 
Fantastic!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.