Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
G'day everybody

I'm a bit of a cheapskate although I prefer the term frugal, when it come to doing or buying in my toy workshop.

Here is a quick tutorial on making a flat-type sanding thingy that may help take the pain from all that detail sanding we all love to do [wink]

Righteo, grab a bolt or a piece of unthreaded rod - whatever size rocks your boat will do as long as it is thin enough to fit in your drill press chuck.

Step 1
Firstly cut or grind the head of the bolt off if that's what you chose and then cut a slot about centre line say about 40 mm deep. Not that deep that you cut right through [eek]

01.JPG 

Step 2
Tear off a strip of your favourite grit sandpaper/aluminium oxide paper (I use about a 180-200 grit) to length - about a pointy finger long <---you can see NASA won't be getting me to supply them with accurate measurements [biggrin]
02.JPG 

Step 3
Fold the strip over and place it the slot you cut, then lightly clamp the slot in a vice to squish it - this should keep the paper in situ.
03.JPG 

Step 4
Your new creation should now look something like this:
04.JPG 

Step 5
Put it into the chuck of your drill press and tighten as usual then by hand, twirl the paper around so it forms a curve of sorts. This is actually optional but makes it easier to get into small places for sanding without taking off too much timber on it's way.
05.JPG 
Should resemble an 'S' shape but not critical.
06.JPG 

Step 6

Sand your part as required with ease and confidence. Make several of these up with different grits on so you can chop and change as required.
07.JPG 

Be warned, though, it does a good job on fingernails too. Possibly a good sideline for the more business orientated amongst us [tongue]

Then sit back and enjoy your coffee.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Reply with quote  #2 
Doc: Thanks for the super tip. [thumb] Here on the big island, your jig is called a flap sanding wheel. I used to make them using a piece of dowel, I like your threaded rod better. They work great. Here we can purchase 1" wide rolls of sand paper at various grits and one that is very common and easily available here almost anywhere is plumbers sanding tape. The stuff they use to clean the copper pipes before they solder the joint. Works just a well.
This is an excellent post.

Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Doc ; 
     This is one neat way to make an inside sander, I have an oscillating sander with different size sanding drums but this would fill the smaller than 1/2"  (12 mm ) I had forgot about flap sanders and never gave a bolt a thought to the drive for the sand paper. Good thinking out side the Box!
Doc

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the comments. all.
   If I remember correctly (and that's a big 'if') I reckon the idea came to me because I actually wanted an excuse to get an oscillating sander [rolleyes]
I feel sooooo lucky I was able to not buy one of them [frown]
I think I need to try another approach.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Doc for the flap sanding idea.
We do spend much of our time sanding toys, and anything that will help, will help.
Great idea.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #6 
Great idea Doc, I can see that being used a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Doc

Reply with quote  #7 
Don, I made a really small one once using a fat nail - no reason, just wanted to see how far I could go. Was a bit flimsy in the drill press, though.
   I still say the easiest way is to use the right blade and then I don't have to sand the edges at all.
Always ask a lazy man the easiest way to do something [wink]

Reply with quote  #8 
I agree there is an easier way to do every thing it just depends on how lazy one is to how much more a brain is put to use. Don
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #9 
Sdaupanner
    I drove a truck myself for 10 years, long ago, and never made any money then either.
   My problem is I don't have the smarts to think out of the box much, that is why i want to thank Doc again for the post above.

Doc

Reply with quote  #10 
Lazy is good - you bet the guy who invented automatic transmission wasn't a health fanatic [rolleyes]
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.