Author   Comment  
Willem

Reply with quote  #1 

A friend of mine bring this 3D excavator (Pic 1) to me and ask me too build a replica from it for his son to play with.

This is what I came up with. (Pic 2)
3D puzzle Excavator 1.jpg  Excavator 1.jpg 
Excavator 2.jpg
Excavator 3.jpg 
Excavator 4.jpg 
Excavator 5.jpg   

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I like this. And you did well with your original design. Are the window areas a separate piece of veneer? What gloss finish did you use-brush or spray? This is a really cool project Willem.
Willem

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks John.
The windows is a seperate piece of wood which I sand down to 1mm and then cut it out and glue it to the cabin.
I use clear varnish which I make thin with some thinners and then painted it with a brush. Because the varnish is thinner the first coat sinks into the wood quickly, the second coat seal the places where there is still some "dry" areas and the third coat let it shine.
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #4 
Well built wooden model. does the tracks move.
Willem

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi shedbuddie, No the tracks don't move. There is 4 wheels on the inside of the frame on which the excavator moves. The moment I put on tracks that can move, it is not a toy anymore, then it became a model. That is just my opinion.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice job, Willem!

I like that you added a lever to move the boom and a lever on the bucket so that a child can make it "dig" properly.
I am looking forward to building the CAT 245 plans that I bought a while ago, and that top lever would make the perfect addition.
Willem

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Wombat.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.