Author   Comment  
calhanton

Reply with quote  #1 

I had a number of friends grand children who were all looking for larger trucks to play with, so based on the Toymaking Plans Mercedes truck I decided on a few variations. So far I have done four semi-trailers and a dump truck and dog. The trailers were all based on other trailers in the range. DSC07304.jpg  DSC07305.jpg  DSC07306.jpg  DSC07307.jpg  DSC07308.jpg  DSC07309.jpg  DSC07310.jpg  DSC07311.jpg  DSC07312.jpg  DSC07313.jpg  DSC07314.jpg  DSC07316.jpg  DSC07317.jpg There is now a tanker trailer, a logging truck, and a cattle truck in the works for others. They have all been converted to right hand drive so they are legal here in Australia. 
To make the dump truck I lengthened the chassis by 100 mm, but the semis used the standard chassis. The Trailers are all 450 mm in length and the strengthened rib effect used standard deck boards thicknessed down to 12 mm.
For the next series I intend to narrow the chassis width by 12 mm so all the wheels are within the confines of the body. They are easy vehicles to make from the base plans and easy to modify to suit your grand children's requests. 
Then agaim maybe a similat series Peterbilt would be fun.

Peter V

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Calvin,

very nice builds. The kids will love them.

You, being ´a sort of´ master in modifications, do you perhaps have any idea of making those Mercedes-trucks steerable? And then not via a completely moving axle (see pics), but just the wheels?

I am as far as:
1. the wheelhouses must be adjusted and/or the complete chassis.

Than it stucks due to: But how do you keep enough strenght in the vehicle?

Any idea`s (or somebody else??).

Btw, you know of the existence the garbage truck, made out of the Mercedes? 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07208.jpg, Views: 28, Size: 256.73 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07209.jpg, Views: 25, Size: 229.75 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07210.jpg, Views: 25, Size: 232.14 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: DSC07211.jpg, Views: 22, Size: 114.71 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
FAntastic designwork andproduction. These trucks are wonderful. Thanks for all of us for sharing these. I am charged and inspired!
calhanton

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Peter V
I have no thought at all of making the front wheels steerable as it involves too much change. I am not into making king pins and tie rods and the geometry to have it all worked by the steering wheel is too complicated. I like big toys and let the kids imagination do the rest. Happy to do articulation, but not the little stuff. The kids these are made for are all in the 4-6 age group and they just want to play and cart many other items.
calhanton

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks John. These are my keepsake toys instead of Tonkas, which last a long time but still end up rusting away. As long as you don't  mind our imaginations adding to yours this is what wooden toy making is all about. The old Merc is a great, simple model with huge potential for easy adaption, and always looks tough for the boys.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
I look at my designs as a canvas for toymakers to create on. It thrills me to see woodworkers modify the plans and make the toy designs into their own concepts. I often build on the work of others and am proud to see others use my designs as reference when they create.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #7 
Having built a few of these trucks myself, I appreciate your exhaust stack treatment and the air-horns from golf tees you have done.
I have a stack of pre-cut parts ready to make a series of regular six wheel trucks, but far too many of the newer released plans seem to buy themselves and shove into the queue to be made first[frown]
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, I built one of these some time ago. My grandson loves it.

20161114_170313.jpg 

20161114_170326.jpg 

20161114_170358.jpg 

20161114_170417.jpg 

Cheers Raymond.

Willem

Reply with quote  #9 
Very very nice indeed. I love it.
Willem
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.