Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Team,

This is a test project for 2018. It is kind of crazy but I was working in the middle of the night and wasn't quite sane! This is the same scale as the Starfleet X-wing and Carrier. It will have a companion Bat-Wing Fighter that fits inside. 

The wings swing in and out. The head rotates as does the head-lasers. This is an imaginary flying AI vehicle that stalks alien drones.

Feel free to be honest about this one.

Drone Stalker 001.png  Drone Stalker 002.png  Drone Stalker 004.png  Drone Stalker 005.png  Drone Stalker 003.png  Drone Stalker 006.png 

Doc

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks awesome, John. What are the approximate measurements?

Reply with quote  #3 
AT-AT walker, sport model?
john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the comments. The Stalker overall size with the wings open is 19" long x 21" wide at wingtips/ 6-5/8" wide at the body sides x 14-1/2" tall. Please feel free to critique this design. I am kind of sticking my neck out here and want to create something that is fun to build and to share.
ddilucchio

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi John,

I think this looks great and looks like a really fun build.

I look forward to adding this to my stack of plans.

-Chad
Keith Harrison

Reply with quote  #6 
Looks great. I like the big cat look.
I assume the back opens for the bat wing fighter.

Keith
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #7 
Working in the middle of the night, with all the new plans, I wonder if you ever sleep at all, John! Another terrific model, the kids are going to love it. I look forward to the bat wing fighter.

Reply with quote  #8 
I like the idea, but something about the wings doesnt sit right with me.  Everything about this model says "tank" or "bulky" but the wings come off as...light?  Not sure really how to express it.  When I first saw this, my immediate reaction was, Woah! a flying Voltron lion!  But it isnt sleek enough for that.  Maybe that's it!  The wings are too sleek for the rest of the body! 

Maybe think a bit about how Tie fighters wings, heck, most of the Imperial Navy's fighters, are.  They are not as sleek as the Rebels.  X-wings, A-wings, etc.

Maybe a bit more squared off for the wings?

Other than that, this is a cool idea!  I hope to see more sci-fi stuff as I am REALLY interested in those kinds of things.

Keith
30+ years as a sci-fi/fantasy nerd/geek/fanboy
john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 
Kieth-

On observation, you are right-on with every suggestion. I couldn't quite figure out where I went wrong with the design. I must say that you have a keen eye for this type of project. I fully agree with you and will modify the design per your suggestions. It will be a few days before I will have another model completed for you to review. Thanks a bunch!!
CalumetWoodworks

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks John. Glad my nerdiness came in useful!  I have to say, when I first started out woodworking and wanted to make toys, this site was a blessing!  I find that the plans I do work from are simple enough for a noobie like me to work from.  The fact I dont need a full cabinet makers shop to make these toys is an added bonus!
john lewman

Reply with quote  #11 
republic drone stalker.png Hi Team and Expert Keith-This Drone Stalker sketch has legs that might work better on the Stalker in the previous post. What do you think? FYI-I am working on the new wings concept and will post images in a few days.
CalumetWoodworks

Reply with quote  #12 
Now THAT is a stalker!  LOVE it!  I had an idea about the wings.  When not deployed, maybe they could fold over the upper joints and act like extra armor plating?  Not sure how difficult it would be to make articulating joints from the top of the carapace?  I took the liberty of putting my idea on top of your's John.  Im no artist but Paintshop lets me draw pretty good straight lines.  [biggrin]
  wing.jpg 

john lewman

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks Kieth and thanks for the clarifying sketch. Great idea. I will work this out and post another sketch soon. I appreciate your honest feedback. It makes designing a lot more fun for me.
eburk

Reply with quote  #14 
A designer I am not, but you two are making a great team on this one. I like it. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.