Author   Comment  
StewRat

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi

I thought I'd share a little of my work so far on making 2 father & son arks.

I'm not great at taking WIP pics as I have no confidence in the finished item until done, but I've bitten off quite a bit here and making it public might help get it all finished by Xmas.

I first made a rod for my own back 3 years ago when my oldest granddaughter reached 3 and I decided I would make her a dolls house for Xmas. That turned out ok, but then I realised our other son's eldest was going to be 3 the next year. So I made her a castle scaled for Playmobil soldiers.

I had last Xmas off, but this year the other 2 granddaughters both turn 3! I've always had a bit of a think for Noah's arks (strangely as a devout atheist) so decided that is what they would each get.

I somewhat naively chose the father & son version as being the most impressive without factoring in the number of components (x2) involved, many of them fairly complex in shape (eg the hull ribs).

Then there's the challenge of finding hardwoods at all economically and in the sizes needed - and that metric sizes vary a bit from the imperial in the plans.

Not to be all gloom and doom, it was a good excuse to treat the workshop-that-shall-not-be-called-shed to a bandsaw, pillar drill and scroll saw 😉

I've used a mix of oak and mahogany (at least that's what they call it - it seems lighter than I'd have expected - Sapele?).

I was having problems getting sufficient hardwood lengths in 1/2" (ish) so initially made the deck housing in pine but I'm not happy with them so will have to be re-done in oak/sapele now I have more supplies.

Hopefully a couple of pics attached when I post this, so far the main hulls and decks and doors are all done and I've detoured onto some animals (from a variety of ebay hardwood offcuts) before re-doing the deck housing. 

Noah's Magnificent Father Son Ark 

ark1.jpg  ark2.jpg  ark3.jpg  ark4.jpg 

Onwards!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: ark2.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 100.60 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: ark3.jpg, Views: 20, Size: 76.75 KB 

Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
These are extremely nice. The mixed wood are great. I use that style as well.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
That's a lot of work, but looking good!

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow! Now that's comin' along really great!! I like the choice of wood (timber?). 

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
StewRat

Reply with quote  #5 
... and both finished with a week to spare!

Animals are made from oak and sapele offcuts from the arks, plus some sycamore, miscellaneous unidentified hardwoods from an ebay offcut box, and pine rhinos from our kids old bunkbeds. Oh and a bit of something that used to be round our back door.

All finished in beeswax/mineral oil paste.

And I made a couple of basic ply boxes with piano hinged side doors to keep them in.

IMG_5912.jpg  IMG_5913.jpg  IMG_5914.jpg  IMG_5915.jpg  IMG_5916.jpg  IMG_5917.jpg  IMG_5918.jpg  IMG_5920.jpg

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Wow! Someone is going to be thrilled with this beautiful Noah's Ark play set. This is museum stuff!
StewRat

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks John appreciate the kind words.

This was mostly "firsts" for me - new tools and techniques all the way, so it was slow at times but I learned a lot.

I do worry its a bit fancy for 3 year olds - I hope they'll play the heck out of them but worry their parents will be too precious about them. I'll be handing them over on Xmas day to both families so I can only try and set the right tone for them then.

After a year of working on these, I'm looking for some woodworking therapy so I plan to see next if I can do some small batch playpals and other simpler cars. Santa's bringing me a planer/thicknesser so I'll put my hardwood supply problems to one side and start shaving away at some pallets and framing lumber 😉
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.