Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all. We are considering this concept for our next launch. The wheels are 2-1/4" diameter made with a 2-1/2" hole cutter. The inner wheel cutout is made with a 1-1/2" Forstner bit in a drill press. The coupe is 10" long. The prototype is white ash and white ash with cherry stain. This is a peach to make and I have made hundreds of them over the years. Most of the parts are all straight cuts except for the grill, fenders and trunk. The axles are from craftparts.com.

I am working on the trailer prototype which is a little different than the sketch. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Dolly Madison Coupe 001.jpg 
004.png  003.png  001.png  002.png 

Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
I like it. It looks like it strikes a nice balance between being fairly fast to produce (the primarily straight cuts you mentioned) but still being a really nice looking and detailed finished product. If you're making a bunch then that's where you want to be.

Looks chunky and durable for rough play.

What is the width of the pieces of wood used in the engine block and the trunk section? 1.5 inches? 2 inches?

I'm not sure I like the dowel through the window. Is that cosmetic or does it provide some sort of structural support?

Is there something special about the axels that you had to order them? Are they not just dowels?
kenstheguy

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks like the cars you made back in the 70's. Thank you, John
john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Trav,

You ask important questions. The hood and trunk are 1-1/2" material. The window dowel is optional. Some of the old coupes that had a high top had a bar in the middle because the windshield was 2 pieces of glass. The axles can be purchased axle pins as shown or you can use 3/8" dowels for axles. 

Thanks for the feedback. I will be posting the trailer hopefully before the weekend. It makes for quite a fun set.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
You are correct Ken. I made a few truck loads of this type of toy in the 1970's. I am working on this being a set with a roadster, sedan, woody wagon and pickup. My might throw in a tow truck version.
kenstheguy

Reply with quote  #6 
Correct me if I'm wrong but the drivers compartment seemed much taller than you are designing them.
I guess we can always exaggerate how high we want to go.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
You are correct sir! Actually, this is a more popular height. When small children would bend over and push around the very tall ones both the car and the child would take a tumble. The design was too tall for the width to make it stable. And like you say, it is an easy fix to make it as tall as you like.
Trav

Reply with quote  #8 
One other comment that touches on the height of the roof you were both discussing. One thing I've noticed with my own brats is that they like putting various toys into the drivers seat of the things I make. Its not unusual to see batman driving a super mack dump truck around the house. [smile]
I can't tell how deep the seating area on this car is but the windows look like they'll be able to facilitate that sort of play. One of the things I try to keep in mind when deciding whether to buy a toy plan is how the new toy will interact with their other favourite toys.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
I like this. You could make the trailer so the top was removable. I'm sure my grandson has some dinosaurs that could ride back there.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #10 
This project reminds me of the Jaguar build John. A fun project with magnificent results. This build seems to look like a simpler build.   Who wouldn't like that? Lol. 

TomDullage

Reply with quote  #11 
Looks good John!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.