Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Peter V

Reply with quote  #16 

Perk30 wrote: "Someone who knows how to paint a rusty look......."

Flamepainter,  pse a tutorial of that?
You see, me taking it for granted that you are able to do the rusty job [biggrin][wink]

Peter V
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #17 

Perk30 wrote: "Someone who knows how to paint a rusty look......."

Flamepainter,  pse a tutorial of that?
You see, me taking it for granted that you are able to do the rusty job [biggrin][wink]

Thanks for the vote of confidence Peter. I have attempted this technique on plastic models with limited success but have seen the process done numerous times by people I was in a model building club with and others at shows. I plan to try it again on wood and we will see how it comes out. I think I can do it and if it comes out okay, I'll do a tutorial on it. I definitely think the Rat Rods need some rust on them. More to come later......
Jim[cool]
Peter V

Reply with quote  #18 

Vallejo does have ´rust-paint´ in it´s repertoire. It can be airbrushed.

https://www.sceneryworkshop.nl/verf/roest/

maybe this is something?

Peter V
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #19 
This Rat Rod finish is kind of a mess but I will continue to experiment. This is dark red crafts paint with black crafts paint for the body. The grayish color is white crafts paint mixed with a little black. The black color is black crafts paint with stiple brushed dark gray made by mixing a little white with the black. A semi-gloss clear finishes it off.
Scene File 023.png  Scene File 024.png  Scene File 025.png 

Toy builder Bob

Reply with quote  #20 
Hey John, I like that paint job. It gives the car a "rattler" look. It is still a bit too clean. How about taking a small Dremel grinder to the body panels to simulate dents and scrapes and maybe paint some rust on the exhaust pipes.Can't wait to see the other rat rods you come up with.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #21 
Toy builder Bob-
Thanks for the feedback. Great Ideas for finishing. I will give that a try. I agree it is too clean. I am so used to trying to make it perfect. I love the real Rat Rods I see on line. It is a fun thing the hot Rodders are up to! Great Ideas for finishing. I will give that a try.
Perk30

Reply with quote  #22 
I know one of the ways they do fake “patina” on real cars is to paint the brown rust color first, then paint the color coat over it, and sand through it in certain spots to represent wear. Never tried it myself but if done right it looks pretty good.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #23 
Ah Perk-that will work!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #24 

A couple of years ago walking the aisles of Hobby Lobby at the row for plastic models I saw a kit to use on military vehicles to give them a battle worn look. 

Wishing now I had read the box to see what the feature consisted of, maybe next time .

boysdad2

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
Hey Design Team,

What do you think about a set of Rat Rods the same scale as the Hill Billy Hot Rods? This would be a set of four like the HBHR set, including a chopped and channeled Duece Coupe. These share a lot of the same parts as the Hill Billy Hot Rod's.

rat rod 002.png  rat rod 003.png  
boysdad2

Reply with quote  #26 
looks fantastic

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #27 

A couple of years ago walking the aisles of Hobby Lobby at the row for plastic models I saw a kit to use on military vehicles to give them a battle worn look. 

Wishing now I had read the box to see what the feature consisted of, maybe next time .

They still have that kit. I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and looked at it. It costs $21.95 and actually has iron in the paint and an activator that actually rusts the paint. I haven't tried it but by looking on you tube, it looks pretty cool. I am going to try to get the rust look with only acrylic paints. Take care all.[cool]
Jim
Bucko

Reply with quote  #28 
Nice update Jim on my Hobby Lobby post.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.