Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Scene File 026a.png
Step 1: Paint the entire assembly including wheels 2 or 3 coats with acrylic crafts paint the color of rust. Let dry.
Step 2: Paint 2 or 3 coats (just enough for the colors to not be transparent) of the blacks, grays and reds over the rust color and let dry.
Step 3. Use 220 and 400 grit sandpaper to slowly remove the top layers of color exposing the rust color.
Step 4: Add a final coat or 2 of matte or semi-gloss clear acrylic using a rattle can.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
What about using red automotive primer or grey? You can buy it in rattle cans.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #3 
I like this look John. Not crazy about the tires but it does give them "the worn look" as well. The body and all the "chrome" looks fantastic. The different levels of "rust" you have here makes it that much more realistic. I think you have a winner in this technique John.[thumb]
Jim
john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks flamepainter and BadBob. Good suggestions. I appreciate the input and will work on it.
Perk30

Reply with quote  #5 
Looks pretty good John. Definitely has the rat rod vibe. I especially like the look of the engine and exhaust.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #6 
New Rat Rod design prototype. Working on engine now-small block chevy. Comments?

32 rat rod.jpg  Rat Rod proto 001.png  Rat Rod proto 002.png 

Perk30

Reply with quote  #7 
John, I love the design but I would lose the roof rack. I really like your wheels and tires and the drilled frame.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the engine.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #8 
Cynthia also says the roof rack has to go! So, here is a rackless version. I actually agree it looks a lot better.
Rat Rod proto 006.png
Rat Rod proto 005.png

Peter V

Reply with quote  #9 

John,

- leave it as this (as base)
- make the cabin removable
- make different cabins
- make different engines
- add garage-equipment (to lift the car (a jack?),

so the children can creater their own type. A kind of Modular Quer building https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

A sort of wooden Lego  

Peter V
BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
Sweet!
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Martin L

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi John,
The new Rod Rat with the windows I would lower the bottom light line to a height just a couple of mm a the height of the rear wheels other than that this is looking pretty good.
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #12 
This looks great John! I really like the body style and maybe if the windows were a little bit lower, it would look great too but I think it is good the way it is also. If you made the body not as tall, maybe cut some off the bottom of it? I really like the way this one sits on the ground. Glad you lost the roof rack too. My only other question is where is the model from the inspiration photo in your photo? [biggrin] Can't wait for the plans, I am really liking this series.[cool]
Jim
lcb914

Reply with quote  #13 
I think that it would look better with the windows a little bigger and the body a little smaller.  More like the picture.  It looks a little out of proportion.  Maybe 1/3 window to 2/3 body.  The rear wheels have to get in the window line to get that look.... 
john lewman

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks to all of you in the previous posts in this thread. You each have valuable input that is priceless to me as I try to perfect this design. When I worked as a designer in Detroit all of the staff together would critique each designer'r work. And that is why so many designs out of Detroit are so perfectly beautiful and timeless. Not that I am in that class, but I was fortunate as a young man to work as a designer in the largest design firm in the World. Dream job. 

I have tried to refine the Rat Rod per each of your suggestions. Here is the result. Keep the ideas coming! I love it. Also,
I am working on the engine and pipes and will post those soon.

Rat Rod proto 007.png  Rat Rod proto 008.png  Rat Rod proto 009.png
john lewman

Reply with quote  #15 
The ground clearance is a little high but it is intended to be a toy. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.