Author   Comment   Page 5 of 6     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   Next
neighbor Larry

Reply with quote  #61 
Each Christmas I make and send to relatives and friends a few creche (nativity) puzzles. The design was published in Good Housekeeping magazine nearly 40 years ago and is still a favorite. It has 12 pieces plus the frame shaped like a stable. This year I sent 5 copies to our daughter who teaches English at a kindergarten in Hong Kong. The kids loved them. They put the names of the pieces in both English and Chinese as a learning tool.

Our daughter has asked for a Noah's Ark puzzle. Adding an ark shape frame to an existing design should be easy. I think having a puzzle with about 12 pieces would be good.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #62 
Here are som stacking puzzles I like.

I had trouble putting this together, and I cut it out on my scroll saw. My grandson, almost five years old put it together in less than a minute. He is very good with puzzles. It's an excellent stacking puzzle that not only requires you to solve the puzzle but you need to get the balance right, or it falls. It needs a hard surface like a table top to work well. As a bonus, individual animals can be used separately for imaginative play.

20190202-081350 Handmade Wooden Stacking Goats Puzzle For Advanced Tod.jpg 
My grandson loves his stacking cats.  He carried them with him for days after I made them. Yes, they are unfinished MDF.

20190120_161452 Odin and His Stacking Cats.jpg

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #63 
These are wonderful puzzles BabBob. Thanks for the inspiration. You have a handsome grandson!
neighbor Larry

Reply with quote  #64 
I really like the stacking rams and sheep. I would appreciate advice on how to design animal puzzles. They don't need to stacking, just so they fit together with a minimum number and size of gaps. I can see that it takes a good imagination to "distort" the animals enough to fit but still be recognizable.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #65 
When you make simple puzzles make sure they only go together one way and that the interlocking pieces actually interlock. I find that most of the free patterns available on the internet don't do this.

When I was looking for jigsaw patterns, the first patterns I found looked good on paper but did not interlock after I cut the puzzle. If I had used a puzzle blade, this might have worked. However, for smaller kids, you don't want a tight fit.

I cut this simple bear puzzle a few days ago. It interlocks but not as good as I would like and the pieces can be put together incorrectly. Puzzles intended for small children should only go together one way. I plan to fix this.
20190131-114505 Handmade Wooden Toy Bear Puzzle Three Piece 665742670.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

johndrees

Reply with quote  #66 
love the puzzle use to big blade
BadBob

Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndrees
love the puzzle use to big blade

Perhaps I used to big of a blade but I'm making these for little kids, and they have a problem putting puzzles together if the pieces are a snug fit. I'd prefer to modify the puzzle.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

kstano83

Reply with quote  #68 
I have a special request John. Any chance you´d make a (.pdf) file with several (lets say 20 or less) possible options of stacking these just like Tarata makes so I (or maybe others) could attach that with their Animal Pals?

I would gladly provide pictures with plenty of stacking options that actually are possible. 

Balancing_Act_-_Jungle_Animals_Configurations_Sheet.gif

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #69 
PDF is a good idea. Thx!
kstano83

Reply with quote  #70 
John, is there a chance to work on the PDF file?
dragon54

Reply with quote  #71 
so cool gets me thinking 
rob41245

Reply with quote  #72 
I'm new to scroll sawing and I've not heard of a "puzzle blade". Is it a unique blade or a certain number and style ? Bottom line I'd like to get some and need to know how to find it at internet dealers.

Thanks for your help. I have great nieces and nephews who'll be thanking you also.
Rob
BadBob

Reply with quote  #73 
Puzzle blades are very small blades intended for cutting jig saw puzzles. For little kids you should consider using a larger blade to get a looser fit. Little ones will have problems getting the tighter fitting pieces together.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rob41245

Reply with quote  #74 
Thanks so much for clarification as to puzzle blades. As I'm going to be doing them for young children , your advice about larger blades is well taken.

Thanks so much again.
Rob
BadBob

Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob41245
Thanks so much for clarification as to puzzle blades. As I'm going to be doing them for young children , your advice about larger blades is well taken.

Thanks so much again.
Rob

I use a #5 Ultra reverse I  get from https://mikesworkshop.com/

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.