Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Kel

Reply with quote  #1 
B862F2E7-1523-4986-AFF7-EF792687FB26.jpeg  as you can see I made a fleet of these fire trucks. One I did in wood and left natural and the rest I painted. Everything was done according to the pattern except the side runners and mudguards. I decided to make these as one solid piece, which gives them a lot more durability.
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Very cool Kel! I see you like to build in quantity! Amazing work!
Peter V

Reply with quote  #3 
Kel,

Beautiful, very well made. Did you make all the pieces first and then assembled those?

Peter V
Kel

Reply with quote  #4 
I usually build one when I have a new pattern, just to see how well the build goes  . Then I will build in bulk 4to 6 at a time cutting all the components at the same time like a production line. This makes the whole process quicker and by building one to start with I can also then determine whether or not there are ways to make the build easier, like for example the side runners ang guards on the fire truck or the trailers on the hiloader build.
Kel

Reply with quote  #5 
To finish answering your question peter, I cut all the pieces first , then undercoat and paint them  as I assemble the build.which can feel a bit tedious at times. Like for the truck hi- loader build , I think I had 96 wheels to cut out with a hole saw then I put each wheel on the lathe to sand and cut the tread in  then undercoat, sand and 2 coats of paint.
Kevin Enlow

Reply with quote  #6 
do you paint before assembly? and if so do you worry about the glue not sticking to the painted surface? I am building the motorcycle rocker and I'm almost at the stage of paint. Advise would be greatly appreciated.  
Peter V

Reply with quote  #7 

Kel,

I also have a lathe and am thinking of making grooves in the wheels myself. Do you make those with a for metal usable cutter of do you have a special one for wood? If so, which one? 

Those lots you make, do you sell them or give them away or what? If yo don't mind my asking.  

Peter V
Peter V

Reply with quote  #8 

Kevin,

there are posts here where-in is explained how to tape pieces before painting.

I myself paint (aribrush) when completed but it is then neccessary that you tape (precisely like a car painter) all the parts that you don't want to be painted/sprayed.
It is a bit more work but works for me and I become more and more clever how to tape (or spray with templates or an A4 to cover an non-painted area/part).

I am re-thinking to switch to "painting before" .... on the other hand, I make a part, put it onto the object and then made the next new part. I therefore see the object growing.

But making all the parts and dry fitting those erlier is also an option. Personnally I didn't consider that method untill I red about it. I like to see the object growth, just like building in the old times the small plastic WWII aircrafts form Airfix (but those parts where all prefab lol).

Building part by part and glue it to the model, I then can see or correct some mistakes (or misfits) I made with the other parts.
When I glue, I use glue sparely and wipe the excess immediate away with paper towl (or finger) and paying attention not to spread the excess all over the piece. DSC07009.jpg  In corners, I remove it with a piece of wood (see pic). DSC07010.jpg  DSC07008.jpg  I am waiting with gluing the axles because I want them all to be lined out, so I glue this part not earlier than when the back axles are also ready. Tanks etc. I glue directly. 

So it are in fact two colliding methods but - for me - it is afterall a hobby and building is my goal, doing that more and more nichely is a learning process and for me part of the hobby. 

Peter V
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #9 
Another awesome set of toys!

Reply with quote  #10 
hi kevin enlow
to answer your question,i paint each component and then glue them together.when gluing pieces together before painting i use wood glue  ,when gluing painted pieces together i mainly use gel super glue.this method has worked for me well.as for painting tips ,i have just outlined the method i use on another one of my posts,so check them out and it will give you  the details of what i do.
cheers kel
Kel

Reply with quote  #11 
hi peter v
i bet you can use your lathe to do lots of interesting things,like woodturning,bowl making etc,i bought my with those things in mind but haven't had time to explore the possibilities yet.but i did come up with a way to make my wheels with it.first i cut out the wheel with a hole saw on the drill press.
then i put it on the lathe sand it,and with a handsaw(yes i did say handsaw).i cut the grooves  to form the tread.very simple,very easy and rather effective.for smaller wheels i use a tenon saw,so it is only thin grooves,but for larger wheels i have a handsaw with offset teeth,which cuts about a 2-3 mm groove,which is perfect.just have a good grip on your saw with both hands.one hand on the handle and the other on the end of the saw ,rest the saw on the support like you would with a chisel and slowly lower it down on your spinning wheel to the required depth ,once you cut all your grooves   sand them  and job done.give it a go and let me know what you think. 
cheers kel
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
Awesome tips Kel! 
Kel

Reply with quote  #13 
peter
i have given some away peter,and i have sold some,and i'm  hoping to sell more.last year i bought a scrollsaw,not because i knew how to use one or needed one,it just seemed interesting at the time,and of course the wife said"what do you need that for?"well i played around on it,looked on the internet for advice and tips,and patterns and started making things,next thing ,the wife asks can you make this or that.my answer was always 'i'll give it a go".anyway  i made this pig money box  and the wife said "gee that is good you should sell it"i have made about 60 of them and sold them.happy wife happy life .
cheers kel
Kevin Enlow

Reply with quote  #14 
Thank you Peter V, and Kel.
Bodacious2

Reply with quote  #15 
The trucks look wonderful. I really appreciate all the tips you have given throughout the post. I am new to the toy making line and love to read the pears of wisdom. Last year my wife and I did a craft show and made some simple 2 by material cars. Very simple but what the heck. I was amazed on how fast they sold. We were only asking $5.00-$8.00 depending on the paint job. One customer bought for his grandkids. He said they would last longer than any store toy.  I am getting ready to make some planes and more complex vehicles and not sure how to price them. Do you have any suggestions 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.