Author   Comment  
Gippy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all.
I'm still at the "what's wrong with this stupid scroll saw" and "why won't the paint do something" stage of toy making so I decided to make some Play Pals from scraps until the process started to get a bit easier. I usually make furniture and haven't worked on small things since I used to do a bit of Tamiya model making years ago.
They are a mixture of lightweight white pine and poplar for painted and beech for natural or half and half. The white pine was horrible to cut and drill, I won't use that again. Poplar was better and the beech much better. Painting is a mixture of artists paints done by brush and rattle cans. Photos taken with a good lens under the Bangkok sunlight which doesn't hide anything, my prep before painting needs a bit more work :-)

DSC_0017-Edit.jpg  DSC_0022-Edit.jpg  DSC_0026.jpg  DSC_0028-Edit.jpg

harry

Reply with quote  #2 
These play pals look great to me and I see nothing wrong with the paint job. We are often our worse critics. I use a lot of yellow pine, poplar and domestic hardwoods for making toys.
Trav

Reply with quote  #3 
I think they look great. I'd be very happy if I had made these.
Big Yin

Reply with quote  #4 
I think these are great. My first Play Pals were certainly not up to this standard.
Paint work finish looks terrific to me.
eburk

Reply with quote  #5 
Gippy, I think these look great. I like the colors you used on the painted ones, and the unpainted look great as well with that nice grain.

Reply with quote  #6 
Great job lovely colours.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Gippy

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the kind words everybody. This was quite fun now that I’m slowly getting used to the scroll saw. I made some double sized Pals before these and had a nightmare with the painting. It seems the craft paints I bought were mainly very transparent and simply did nothing. For this set I bought some opaque artist acrylics and a softer brush and got much better results.
matthewsaad

Reply with quote  #8 
They look great.  Nice paint job.

eburk

Reply with quote  #9 
Wish mine looked as good as yours. I used some BB Ply, but did not tur out nearly as nice as I was hoping for. Grandson still loves them though, and that is what counts.

Reply with quote  #10 
I try to avoid painting as far as possible, takes to long and I am not very good at it. I tend to get contrast by using natural wood color's such as Oak,Ash, Alder, Pine, Mahogany, Iroko and American Cherry. most of it I get for nothing or very cheaply which means that a lot of it has been used before and needs prep work to render it usable. A neighbor ripped out his 3/4" oak Kitchen floor and I had the lot, had to remove all the glue blobs with a scraper, plane out the ridges with a motorized 3" hand plane, (The TCT cutter blades are cheap and disposable) the same plane took the varnish off the front then run the clean boards through the thicknesser to get usable stock about 5/8" thick. Very time consuming but yielding an awful lot of Oak for the cost of a couple of plane blades some Electricity and elbow grease (Work). My brother in law changed his Mahogany windows for the PVC ones, Had that. A kitchen installer saves all his corners and sink cutouts for me when fitting wooden worktops, a variety of woods there. and a local timber merchant sold me 3 boxes of end of line American Cherry flooring.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.