Author   Comment  
Johnnoe

Reply with quote  #1 
I was trying to figure out what I could build for my nephew for Christmas (he has had allot of health issues the first year of his life). I started doing my research when I landed this website and was immediately impressed with the quality of the plans and nastslgic feel the toys offered. So I decided to give it a shot but there was one issue I have never scroll sawed before let alone owned one. At this point I was motivated and decided to give it a shot I downloaded the free fleet of cars plans ordered myself an early Christmas present a dewalt scroll saw and went to work, althought it was my first attempt and I am fairly new with wood working (3years) I was happy with the results and I am sure my nephew will get many years of play from his new present.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 72, Size: 880.50 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 70, Size: 920.76 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 58, Size: 892.32 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 61, Size: 912.25 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 64, Size: 849.73 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 61, Size: 315.44 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 54, Size: 697.60 KB 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Johnnoe - Well John, if this is you first fleet of vehicles you have done a outstanding job [thumb]. Your paint job looks excellent. You should tell us a how you did them, spray paint, brush and did you apply a top coat. Colours look great and they have a great shine to them. Got a feeling your nephew is going to be spoiled with future wood toys. Thanks for posting.
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow, Johnnoe, you did a fantastic job for never having used a scrollsaw before. Another couple of months and you will be the go to guy on scrollsaw questions. Your first fleet came out excellent and your nephew will love the bright colors. I would be interested in what type of paint you used to get that great color and shine. I have tried spray paint with good results, but because of the weather and my inexperience, the project took almost a month to fully cure. Now it is too cold here in Colorado to use spray paints in an unheated garage. I am trying out the craft paints that Udie and others use for their great looking paint jobs, I hope I can come close to what they get with theirs.

Steve Currier

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Currierwoodworks

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #4 
Johnoe excellent work for first project he going to be so pleased with them and the adults as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Johnnoe

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you all so much for such kind responses I really am enjoying My newly learned wood working skill. As for the paint I have the same issue where I live it is entirely too cold to try and spay paint(not nearly as cold as Colorado but still cold enough)so I just used the acrylic craft paint you can but at almost any store so I could be inside with family while painting (mine was from good ole miejers) and after I did several coats and a light sanding to smooth out the raised grain I used high luster spray laquer that I purchased from Home Depot. I would spray in my garage ( un-heated) and then bring them into a very primative drying station in a spare bedroom to dry then I sanded and repeated until I was happy with the results. I did find out that not all of the craft acrylic paint is equal I have two types (both the same company Americana) one just the standard type like $1 a tube and the other was 1.39 and it was called multi surface. I found that the standard seemed to leave some brush marks even when using a foam brush but the multi surface left little to no marks at all and almost dried with a flat spray paint smoothness. Hope this helps as I am far from and expert on painting as painting is usually my arch nemesis we don't seem to get along very well and Murphy's law usually kicks in
joepeto

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Johnnoe,
   Very good job, beautiful colors and finishig. You show to be a very kindly uncle, certainly your nepheu will play with these toys for years to come. Greetings,
Joepeto
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #7 
Great job Johnnoe!

Reply with quote  #8 
Nice job Johnnoe , very colourful , kids will love em. Douglas
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #9 
   Jophnnoe, thanks for the insight on the crafts paints. I am using the standard craft paint for this first project painted with craft paint. I found that the brush marks were very hard to get rid of and still did not get them eliminated completely. I am trying foam brushes on the next subject of my hand painting learning curve.
Steve Currier
ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Very Nice, Jophnnoe.  Great finishing.
Cindy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.