Author   Comment  
Atheneum

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

I am new to woodworking within the last year, and teaching myself. I stumbled on this site and am very excited to start building toys. Although I lack many of the tools that would make some of these eaiser I took a crack at a play pal using a little dove tail saw, a palm sander, and a jig saw. With help from my 2.5 year old daughter this is what we ended up with.

I have borrowed a scroll saw and hope to start another play pal version tonight especially since little hands wont be helping me lol.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20180903_180433.jpg, Views: 55, Size: 1.78 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180903_180419.jpg, Views: 50, Size: 1.75 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180903_163104.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 1.61 MB 

Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Atheneum.
Welcome to this site and it's wonderful forum and congratulations on your first build I think it looks really good.
I too am fairly new to this hobby, just about 2 years now, and I have bought budget tools and self taught myself. I too have made these playpals and the free Mercedes Truck is absolutely brilliant for a beginner and it's very adaptable as well, see my posts.....
I will look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
Dave
eburk

Reply with quote  #3 
Atheneum, Your play pal looks great. Although I have been on the forum for some time, I had not made any of the toys until this past July. I just recently have started making the playpals and love it. I have a great collection of plans from John and Cynthia that I am ready to start getting serious about making. Kind of like the quilter that buys fabric but never quilts anything. 

Glad you are here, and glad to see your work.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both for the kind greetings, and kind words on the first attempt. I started some more last night doing just the rough cuts and drilling before sanding. 20180906_224314.jpg  Hopfully tonight i will get time to cut more and do some sanding.
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello and welcome! I started out five, maybe 6 years ago, doing the exact same thing you are doing. Your toys look great. There are a series of articles some where on this site, about how to buy tools in stages, as you grow. They were published by John Lewman himself. Be sure to check them out!
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #6 
Looking good.
Just be careful here as i started down this road a little over 4 years ago now after i retired. I looked up one day and found i had made dozens of toy's for the grand kids LOL You will get hooked for sure. I love every minute of it especially when you hand off that toy to you kids or grand kids and see the huge smile on their faces...

Reply with quote  #7 
Great for a first attempt.

Crowbar

Reply with quote  #8 
Great to have a forum on this site.

Your work there is something to show off and be loud and proud about. Well done to you both!

It is time to start building again and reading here has given me the kick along that I needed, thanks everyone.

Although as some have said the build up of achievements can be daunting in a way, though that should not stop anyone, me included. Haha.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #9 
A big WELCOME from me and great work.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Atheneum

Reply with quote  #10 
Ed357sw (686 or R8?) You are right sir this is a rabbit hole that I have fallen into. My daughter knows that in the morning if she comes out and looks at the work bench she may find something new to play with. That being said the plans on here are great and I have bought a few eaiser ones to "cut my teeth on".....
One of my favorites right now is the simple Noahs ark. I think its a fun little set of animals and my daughter loves them.

I have also been messing around with a concept build no plans just building it from the ground up quick and dirty to get dimensions correct, a few paint scheme ideas etc. I think im down to the point of building it in a detailed version with some adjusts from the concept build. You can see it below its based on a J3 Piper Cub sans wheels on this one.

Again thank you to everyone for the warm welcome, being 29 noone i know does this sorta thing, they are all to busy on facebook or taking pictures of their food on Instagram. Neither of which I have.

SawDust in the beard- Atheneum

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20180909_232101.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 2.28 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180912_225553.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 1.63 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180912_225558.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 1.59 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180912_225549.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 1.64 MB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.