Author   Comment  
toolow

Reply with quote  #1 
I made a few changes to the cars and construction method that I think makes the cars look different and made my little toy testers grab them up!  I noticed after I glued the printouts to some 1/16" ply I had saved for something, that the wheel bases and fender placement were all the same! So I sketched in a connection between the front and rear fender to make it look different, and aid in making the fender placement easier.   After cutting out all my templates and transferring them to fresh wood I started cutting them out.  Sure can go thru a scrap pile real quick using templates for placement! I cut out a batch of fenders and for some odd reason they are never the exact match.  I use thin carpet tape in several places to stick them together to sand and match up.  Then I use a 1/4 round over20171010_100017_resized.png 100_2670.JPG 100_2671.JPG 100_2674.JPG 100_2672.JPG 100_2676.JPG 100_2675.JPG 100_2667.JPG 100_2669.JPG 100_2677.JPG  router bit on the outside edges of the fender to round them off instead of sanding---quick and easy!  Don't do the wheel wells leave the edges square!  Pop them apart and use sandpaper or a sander to knock off the tape and true up any roughness so they glue nice and tight to the car bodies. To further diminish the scrap box I make my own wheels.  I use a hole saw of the right size and make bins full to use on cars. Since the hole saw has a 1/4" arbor drill the wheels are perfectly centered and you can make them as thick as you want.  I cut mine out of 3/4" to fill up the fender so little fingers cant snap the 1/4" axle off      
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice...

One of the things I like about templates is that its easy to tuck little things into little corners and get something out of a piece of wood that would have gone to waste otherwise. I made templates for years. They have a couple of trade offs. The pencil lines are much more difficult to see and less precise than the printed patterns. When I made my recent batch of dragons there was room in the corners for a Play Pal and a small animal cutout.

toolow

Reply with quote  #3 
My eyes are not that great so I have started to use a sharpie fine point so I have a line to follow!  Yes one can get more out of saved scraps of wood using templates and don't have to sand or scrape off the patterns or glue! 
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
I like the modified guards on these. 

Going to have to give this a go. 

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers
Rod T

Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
Very nice, like the mods

Reply with quote  #6 
Here is what I did to make the extended fenders 20171011_105124_resized.jpg 
gazz

Reply with quote  #7 
It's amazing how adding a couple of lines to a plan can change it so much, this could work on a other plans as well.

Reply with quote  #8 
I really like these, great mod!

Reply with quote  #9 
I really like the looks that the modified fenders give to these cars. Well done !
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.