Author   Comment  
dmjones

Reply with quote  #1 
Well I finally finished my first Freaky Ford. I am always open to constructive advice. I always believe I can learn for everyone.

I am posting a picture below. freaky ford 1.jpg 

ssweet

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks great! Finished my first set a couple weeks ago, gotta love 'em!!

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Well this is one of the coolest freaky fords ever! I love it. And your photography is super. We all hope to see a lot more of your projects and how-to's on the forum.
dmjones

Reply with quote  #4 
I forgot to mention, I made this entire car from 3/4 MDF. I used about 3 coats of clear shellac to seal it and then used Valspar Micromist spray paint to paint it.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #5 
The Ford you made sure does make a great first impression, well done
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
dmjones
Now there a freaky ford for you.[thumb]
Great colour choice.
I've never heard of Valspar Micromist spray paint.
I'll have to do an internet search on that.
Not sure who sells Valspar in CANADA - I'm thinking Lowe's.
I'll have to check the paint department out the next time I'm in one.
Thanks for posting and the paint tip.
dmjones

Reply with quote  #7 
Udie. You are correct. I buy Valspar paint at Lowes. Thanks for the compliments.
Tony

Reply with quote  #8 
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Tony

Reply with quote  #9 
nicely done, I'm thinking your gonna have to make a few more before it's over with LOL

[thumb]

Reply with quote  #10 
I want to thank everyone for the compliments. However I would like to ask a question about my Ford. I had a problem gluing the wheels on. I could not seem to get them to roll. The glue came out of the spindle hole and got on the wheel thus gluing them solid. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Thanks,
David
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #11 
Well David we have all been there done that one for sure.

As for me I use old plastic gift cards with slots cut in them to slide between the wheels and the body of the car. This keeps the glue from oozing out and gluing to the body.
the added benefit is of course I have the correct spacing for the wheels to turn freely.

I tend to use CA glue for the wheels as well so the glue up is very quick.

This works for me. I sure others will chime in with their little tricks as well...

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks ED. I am heading to my local Woodcraft store today and I will pickup some CA glue while I am there.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #13 
It doesn't that much glue. If your like me you are probably using more glue than you need. Use a tooth pick, nail or something similar to coat the inside of the wheel. Don't put any on the axle. Twist the wheel as to insert the axle to spread the glue evenly.

Use flat washers. Washers will maintain a space between the wheel and the body so it doesn't rub making the toy roll better and wood glue doesn't stick to them very well. Nylon washers are best. Wood glue and lots of other glues will not stick to nylon. In addition nylon washers act as a bearing that further reduces friction and the cars roll even faster. You could make washers if you have the tools but I find that to be too time consuming. I by washers on eBay cheap it takes awhile (weeks) to get them but the price is right.

500pcs M5 Nylon Plastic Flat Washer Plain Washer $5.22
500pcs M6 Nylon Plastic Flat Washer Plain Washer $5.69

Put a thin coat of wax where ever you don't want the glue to stick. I coat my axles with wax everywhere I don't plan on having glue. Wax is a lubricant and reduces rolling resistance. To quite my grandson "Faster! Faster!"

Use axle pegs instead of through axles. It costs a bit more than dowels but for cars I think they work much better. All of the above apply. This isn't my preferred method for things like trucks with tandem axels It's hard to get the alignment perfect and I always seem to wind up with one of the wheels not touching the ground. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dmjones

Reply with quote  #14 
Sorry to take so long to reply. Thanks for all your responses to my gluing problem.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.