Author   Comment  
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #1 
I Love this new plan set and hope to start building it soon. My question is, the wheel well using a Forstner bit recommends a small pilot hole, do you drill the pilot hole thru to the next side to accommodate alignment? If not, does the drilling of the axle hole to the other side be used for alignment?

Thanks a bunch,
Don
Peter B

Reply with quote  #2 
When i built my first classic freightliner, i used a long shank drill bit to go from one side to the other. Or you could go half way through with a shorter shank drill bit. Even though i use a sharp drill bit i find that drilling through some of the harder growrth rings of pine puts the drill bit out of alignment on some smaller drill bits.
toynut

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm using stationary axles, so instead of drilling all the way through, I only drilled pilot holes the depth of the axles from both sides. This not only solves the problem of getting a hole all the way through, straight, also allows all wheels to turn free of each other.
Wooddawg

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the tips. Just got back from Orlando, went down for the long weekend with my oldest grandson and his mom and dad. Reality hit my wife, she cannot keep up with her grandson. This hit me some time back, shook me as much as it did her.

BUT...we did have a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting back to my toy building.
Don
saddo

Reply with quote  #5 
Has anyone had any problems with the Freightliner tandem dump truck tipping mechanism?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.