Author   Comment  
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone.
I would like to share with you another set of models, that I have made from John's brilliant plans, of the Mini Constructors sets that i have recently finished and very quickly sold as well....
They are made from Beech & Birch and i bought the wheels/axles from Ebay. They are also stained with a couple of coats of Superior Danish Oil and several layers of a gloss varnish as i am not at all confident to paint wooden toys ...yet lol
I have added a couple of "wheel chocks" onto the semi trailer so the dump truck can ride on the top.
Anyway i hope you like them.
All the best.
Dave.
IMG_1720.jpg  IMG_1676.jpg  IMG_1686.jpg  IMG_1692.jpg  IMG_1694.jpg  IMG_1701.jpg  IMG_1708.jpg IMG_1717.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
These are absolutely beautiful. Masterfully done. What a wonderful set of wood toys. I bow to you!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Marvelous build, fantastic look and quite enjoyable to view your pictures.
Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nicely done, thanks for sharing

Reply with quote  #5 
Well done I am  with you in the art of painting toys. I tried it not that good at it. I can see why they sold so quickly.  
eburk

Reply with quote  #6 
In a word - - - - AWESOME!!! Like the addition of the chocks to the trailer.

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbucket
Hi everyone.
I would like to share with you another set of models, that I have made from John's brilliant plans, of the Mini Constructors sets that i have recently finished and very quickly sold as well....
They are made from Beech & Birch and i bought the wheels/axles from Ebay. They are also stained with a couple of coats of Superior Danish Oil and several layers of a gloss varnish as i am not at all confident to paint wooden toys ...yet lol
I have added a couple of "wheel chocks" onto the semi trailer so the dump truck can ride on the top.
Anyway i hope you like them.
All the best.
Dave.
IMG_1720.jpg  IMG_1676.jpg  IMG_1686.jpg  IMG_1692.jpg  IMG_1694.jpg  IMG_1701.jpg  IMG_1708.jpg IMG_1717.jpg 

Dave how did you apply the varnish? Great looking Toys. Also did you sell as set or individual?
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi PaPa Jack & everyone else.
Many, many thanks for your very kind words. After a long day in a job I don't like, nor feel at all appreciated in, I feel great after reading your comments. I wish that I had been encouraged to learn carpentry 40 years ago and that I might have followed my Uncle & Grandfather, neither of who I ever met, as they were very skilled.
In answer to your question this is the first set of these models that I have made and I varnished them with a small paintbrush and my fingers, yes seriously, as I find it gives a smooth finish....maybe 3-4 coats..after I had put 2 coats of Superior Danish Oil on them first.
The only modification I done was the chocks on the trailer, unusual for me lol, and I was lucky enough to sell the entire set to a work colleague as he wants to give them to his nephew for his birthday early next year.....
Thanks again
Take care all
Dave
Rod T

Reply with quote  #9 
Nice choice of timbers and really nicely finished.
Well done.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Rod T

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #10 
These turned out very nice.
How long do you wait for the oil to dry before you apply varnish? I've tried applying straight mineral oil before and found that there was still residue weeks later, even though the excess had been wiped off and it had been left to 'dry'.

Reply with quote  #11 
Mineral Oil by itself does not cure. Or if it does it takes a very long time. 

gsmith89

Reply with quote  #12 
Nice job really like the natural wood look.
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #13 
It just doesn't get better than this.  I love the natural wood too, though agree with other posts where people say that the painted toys attract the kids more quickly.  This is a great set!  Always look forward to seeing your work Dave!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #14 
You never really know what people will like. I had customers that wanted to see brush marks and wood grain on a painted toy. I sold them the worst looking one in the batch and they loved it.

AES

Reply with quote  #15 
I can't think why they don't appreciate you in the day job mate, because these toys have all the hallmarks of someone who has taken real care - nice clean cutting, NIL "fuzz", so well sanded, and a lovely finish overall.

Very well done Sir!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.