Author   Comment  
bunceman

Reply with quote  #1 
After a few hiccups, I have finished the Galaxi Drone Transport weapon, and it has turned out much as I had hoped for.

The hiccups were mainly with the gun turret, as this had to be cut in two seperate halves with the final splay cuts made with a hand saw, as it was still too big for either the scroll or band saw.

The trooper driver was also a tadge awkward, so I made a compromise with the model instructions and a mod of my own - and it worked out fine.

I used a mixture of Pine, MDF and plywood and cut my own wheels, although I should have sliced them from a suitable DSC_0004JPG.jpg  DSC_0007JPG.jpg  DSC_0012JPG.jpg  dowel - duh! All paint was brush applied with a spray varnish finish.

This is to be a present for our son-in-law, who is a massive Star Wars fan, and as soon as I saw the plans, I knew where this would be going!

I'll now give the troop carrier a go.

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi David, this is absolutely breathtaking! And I love the photography. You've really captured the spirit of this otherworldly toy! Your combination of metallic paints is stunning. Thanks for posting.
Cynthia
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #3 
Well, all I can say is: WOW!

Great job.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #4 
Great work and a fabulous paint job!!
Tony
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
extremely well done...
I think your son-in-law will be super happy with this...

Thanks for sharing with the group

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
OMG! Your new version eclipses the original prototype in the promotion. Your work is amazing and I bow to you.
AES

Reply with quote  #7 
Superb paint job, the metallics look especially effective on this toy. Great. 

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #8 
+1 on the paint job...really great!  Did you use brush-on metallic acrylics?  I've had limited success with the brush-on metallic acrylics...never anything as nice as what you have here.  Really a great job!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
I've used the metallics for small things like axle pegs. The colors (blue, purple, green) worked well but I needed to put on 2 or three coats because the color part of the paint would soak into the wood and leave the metallic on the surface. Lately I've been applying a seal coat of white acrylic first that helped a lot. Gold and Silver metallics I haven't figured out yet. The gold looks kind of yellow and the silver is more of al light grey.  
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #10 
Hullo BadBob. I have HEARD (i.e. have not yet tried it myself) that for the Silver/Chrome and Gold metallic colours you need a first coat of matt black. No idea if it's true or not, but I picked it up from a plastic modeller's forum somewhere. Perhaps the fact that they're talking about plastic and not wood, like us, makes a difference, I dunno. As said, I've not tried it yet, but will advise when I do (although with your prolific output I bet you get there before I do)!

HTH 

bunceman

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi BadBob

The photos don't really do the colours justice.

The gold and silver are representative of their true colours really, it was the lighting that was under powered. New bulbs have been ordered.

I use Pébéo Studio acrylics (High viscosity satin and AP certified). I did have to give those items in gold three coats and copper items two coats each, with the silver needing a fourth, and all on a base white acrylic coat.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES
Hullo BadBob. I have HEARD (i.e. have not yet tried it myself) that for the Silver/Chrome and Gold metallic colours you need a first coat of matt black. No idea if it's true or not, but I picked it up from a plastic modeller's forum somewhere. Perhaps the fact that they're talking about plastic and not wood, like us, makes a difference, I dunno. As said, I've not tried it yet, but will advise when I do (although with your prolific output I bet you get there before I do)!

HTH 

I'll give it a try. I get a lot of info from plastic modelers. I used to be one myself. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.