Author   Comment  
Hambone

Reply with quote  #1 
I have problems with the glue itself.  In spite of cleaning, glue does not go through the top or only by effort.  Its OK for the first several usages  but then difficult. Most of my work is on the scroll saw and small.  For those, I use Elmers because of the small nozzle.  It's only with larger items that is best with Titebond where the problem occurs. What's the best way to handle this glue problem?? Thanks.

Hambone

Hambone
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Hambone,

We have the same problem with the nozzle on the Titebond glue. Our workaround has been to not use the nozzle and to pour some glue on a piece of scrap wood and then use an inexpensive artist brush that's been dampened in water to apply the glue in a thin layer to the surfaces to be glued. The paintbrush can be cleaned with water while the glue is still wet,

We also recommend that you scrim the glue with something like an old credit card after you apply it with a brush so that you have a thin coat of glue on both surfaces to be glued together. Then press the parts together and move then around slightly until you feel the bond take. Then carefully wipe any glue seepage with a damp towel.

Cynthia

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I have tried lots of things for applying glue. The best thing I have found is condiment bottles.

You can find them at WalMart for less than a dollar. If you look around a bit online, you will find that there are many similar bottles available in lots of sizes. What I like about these is they are cheap and easy to control. The nozzles are easy to clean if they become clogged. I also use these for solvents like alcohol.

When gluing tiny parts, I like to use a t-pin. I tip the tip in the glue and get a drop of glue on the pin. You could use any small pointed object like a toothpick for example.

I have never like brushes for spreading the glue. It adds an extra step to the glue-up, cleaning the brush. If I need to spread it around my finger works better, and for larger areas, I like to use plastic cards. I save all cards I get in the mail and old credit cards for this. The plastic squeegees they sell for auto body filler work very well for this, and the glue will not stick to them.

10069186CondimentDispenser16oz_1200.jpg 

T-Pin.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Hambone

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the condiment bottle idea. I use silicone glue brushes from Rockler (I think). When the residue dries you just peel it off. Looks like a honey comb. No mess!

Hambone

Hambone
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I keep trying glue spreaders as the come along but I have yet to find anything that workdbetter for me than my finger. For large areas I use a plastic card like a credit card or squeege. I save all the plastic cards tha show up in my junk mail. They are useful for many things. I use them for cutting small parts on a scroll saw.

20190820_204544 Zero Clearence on a Scroll Saw.jpg 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.