Author   Comment  
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi John and Cynthia and other Members;
I would love to see some instructions (if at all possible) on how folks glue and paint their bigger toys. Especially the advertisement of how they did the toys to sell the plans. Actually, it can be any member. Would love to see in much more detail how they finish their project. 
 Sometimes I have a difficult time in learning by words alone. I would like to see videos if at all possible, and pictures in much more details. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I don't see much of it and I'm sure there are some beginner toy makers that would love to see this too. 

I encourage any of you other hobbyists who would like to see this to respond to this. Hard to put into words, my gratitude for this forum and I have searched it quite diligently and just seem to get more confused on the gluing and painting aspect of things. I know I would develop much more confidence if I knew from the beginning of how or if I could "finish" or paint the project. Thank you... Michael Lusk from Springfield, TN.

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Not necessarily a bigger toy this Osni Devil Car has a great build video. http://toymakingplans.com/website/PlanSets/osni-devilish-devil-car.html
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Finishing and glue ups are skills you have to practice and gain some experience with. It is also very specific to what you are making, the materials, and tools you have on hand. When I was trying to figure out how to use an air brush to finish toys I found a lot of information in websites and videos that were related to model building and miniatures.

Bob Flexner is a renowned expert on wood finishing. He writes columns in several woodworking magazines, has a blog, and has written several books on finishing. Just Google for "Bob Flexner"

Asking someone to make videos is really asking a lot. Making a good video is a very time consuming process. Not many people have the time to do this. I have a pile of videos of my grandson that I need to edit. If I can't find the time to edit these I'm certainly not going to have time to make a video about how to paint a toy.

mlusk123

Reply with quote  #4 
Well Bob, some people like making video's or taking pictures of the process. I will take pictures once I get it down maybe. Will check out that gentleman you stated. You're right on the experience. I will probably make more than one once I start making them. I will use Cynthia's finish for the toys going to the younger kids. Kind of making 4 sets at a time for them. I just wanted to see if anyone could give some more input on the biplane or similar projects that require that process. Thank you for you advise, well appreciated. 

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.