Author   Comment  
kstano83

Reply with quote  #1 
Another great time in my garage. Maple and oak wood. Did stack cutting so parts can be interchanged. Treated with linseed oil.
I´m curious if using Cynthia´s beeswax paste would give more protection to wood than using just linseed oil. Can anyone confirm?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20180605_015421.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 884.65 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20180605_015633.jpg, Views: 47, Size: 899.16 KB 

Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice. The mixed species look great.
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #3 
These look great. I also did this pattern earlier in the year. I sold it at the last market I did. A child spotted it among all the other toys and just had to have it. I used a paint wash on mine. From memory I finished it with varnish, lightly sanding between coats. I did another one that was left natural and I used beeswax/coconut oil paste on it.

2017-12-01 10a.jpg 2017-12-01 09b.jpg 

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, that´s what I call clean cuts. Did you sand the edges at all?
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
This is a wonderful toy design and the coloring and finish is beautiful. I love these toys! Thanks for taking the time to share with the Forum.
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #6 
kstano83 - yes the painting process raised the grain on the edges so I had to sand lightly between each coat. Some parts needed quite a bit of sanding where the end grain raised up more. I didn't want to make the pieces too rounded on the edges so I just knocked the sharpness off those.

Reply with quote  #7 
Now when I see yours, it stands out much batter. I think I was too aggressive on the edges on mine. 
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
Neat cuts love um.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Trav

Reply with quote  #9 
Is there an image for this puzzle available somewhere?
kstano83

Reply with quote  #10 
I couldn´t find it online anymore, so I hope it is ok if I just upload it here. 
goats puzzle.jpg
Trav

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Kstano.

I might give this a shot this weekend. Might have to learn that paint wash technique as well. It's a nice look. It's easy to see why a kid would pick it out.
Greg

Reply with quote  #12 
thanks for the  pattern [biggrin]  I will be trying it soon  [thumb][thumb]
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #13 
So glad that I found this post today!  My dad has a herd of "pet" goats and when I saw this I had to make it for him.  I modified them slightly to give the billy on the bottom a beard and horns that better resemble the type of goats he has.  He was so excited to get them and laughed when he learned that they can stack on each other.  Thank you so much for sharing!

39453589_10204908005376710_8196285879950508032_o.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.