Author   Comment  
brian121599

Reply with quote  #1 
So I am completely new to woodworking outside of square framing.  With a new baby boy on the way I figured I would give a try to making him some toy cars.  Found this site, downloaded some plans, bought a scroll saw, and went to cutting!  So much fun!  I have a lot to figure out and learn but really enjoy building these toys!  Now, to figure out blades....

Here are a couple of the projects I have completed so far.  Finished with mineral oil/beeswax paste I made after watching the video.

IMG_3023.jpg IMG_5317.jpg IMG_6441.jpg IMG_6462.jpg 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
brian121599 - Excellent work my friend, your Play Pals and the Martin Car Carrier look outstanding. Glad you are enjoying your new scroll saw. New son on the way - congratulations! There are just so many things you are going to make now that you have the woodworking bug. Thanks for joining our Forum and posting.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
brian121599 - Here are a couple of links on this web site which may be of interest to you.
Scroll Saw Questions and Answers and Scroll Saw Blades.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow Brian
Welcome to the Forum.
You look like a natural cutter with the Scroll Saw, good work.  
   I like the Olsen PGB blades the best, because they are not stamped out, so they cut better and are easier to keep on the line.  I like to buy the #5 and #9's, and I buy them by the gross.  I usually do not buy #7's because there is hardly any difference between the #5 and a #7.  I also use a lot of the Olsen #.02 blades for really fine work, and the #02 for thin work up to 1/2"
   I use some of the Flying Dutchman blades as well.  I like their Biggest blade they call "The Blade That Could", it is like cutting with a jig saw.

pdaunno

Reply with quote  #5 
Brian, welcome and great job on those!  I have bought a lot of Flying Dutchman blades from Mike - https://www.mikesworkshop.com.  He will even send you a sample if you want to try them first.

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks so much for all the kind words and great advice!  I will definitely be surfing these pages to try and soak up all I can.  I look forward to completing more toys!!!

Thanks again!
Ceefa

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Brian, for a first lot of toys they are really well made and I'm sure your new son will just love playing with them. You will probably find out, like me that toy making is addictive but I'm not going for counselling on my addiction though. My blades of choice are the Flying Dutchman blades from Mike's workshop.  I mainly use the #3 and #7 reverse tooth blades and I have also used a #12 for cuts with not much detail on thicker material.
TommyT

Reply with quote  #8 
Great job Brian!!  You are well on your way!

Reply with quote  #9 
Good cutting and finishing work , well done . Douglas
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #10 
Welcome!

Reply with quote  #11 
Another site that you might find useful is WWW.SCROLLSAWWORKSHOP.BLOGSPOT.COM, the owner Steve has a series of videos for the beginning scrollsawer. I found them useful and along with the information here, I have become somewhat proficient with the scrollsaw.

Your cars and trucks look great. I noticed you had not cut the windows in some of the Playpals, you can also drill them with a 1/2" drill. That is what I have done in the past to make them easier and quicker to make.
I have found that Precision Ground Blades are the way to go, whether they are Flying Dutchman or Olson, they make it possilbe to cut a true straight line without having to turn the piece to the side to get a straight cut. I use the #5 and #9 reverse toothblades for the toys I make, they leave a smoother cut with little or no sanding, in fact, they usually leave a polished finish if I have the speed and feed right.
Steve Currier
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #12 
Nice, good job.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #13 
Welcome Brian.
Very nice set of play pal's. you have now entered the toy making vortex. There is no escape for you my friend.
Next you will be looking at bigger toy's to make LOL.

congrats on the new additions to the family (son and new toy's for dad to make new toy's for son lol)
By the time he is 3 he will have a slew of new car's and trucks

Have fun. There is a wealth of good information on this forum and lots of friendly people. Some of us are new and others are old hands and enjoy all the neat plans that are available.

[thumb]

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.