Author   Comment  
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #1 
Now this might be laughed at because many might know this, but something I learned while watching Norm Abrams on The New Yankee Workshop is to make perfectly square and plumb cuts using a hand saw.
   What you do it line up your saw on the piece you're cutting, then look at the reflection of the piece on the side of the saw. What you'll see is the piece skewed left or right if your saw is less or more than square and plumb. If your saw IS square and plumb, the reflection will appear to be a straight continuous piece.
   I tried to take photos showing this but I need that 3rd arm that hasn't quite grown in yet....I'm working on it but.......
   This works when you have to do a 45 degree cut as well. The thing is, the reflection will appear to be 90 degrees, not straight.
   I had just started at a cabinet shop and was sent out to install a $70,000.00 kitchen. There was a fine piece of trim that had to be installed along the light rail. The boss was all flipping out because the guys in the shop cut it too long. He was worried it would splinter on the chop saw and it was stained and lacquered.
   I said "give it to me, and pulled out my fine backsaw" he said "you're not going to cut that by hand, no way you can make a perfect 45 degree miter by hand"......."you mess that up, pack up your tools and go"......he came back 20 minutes later and said "so did you F it up"? I said "nope, it's installed".....he looked at the mitre and said "no way you did that by hand"......yup, sure did....He got out his square and checked it...perfectly plumb and perfectly tight......

He looked at me and said "great work, I GUESS you can stay" lol
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #2 
I have replaced all my old saws to use japenese pull saws they are so good for cutting straight lines I love them worth ever penny. I guess that's what you call a back saw where you are?.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, I have a couple of Japanese saws....the cut on the pull stroke makes much more sense......
   No, a back saw is a saw that has a reinforcing strip along the back so the blade stays perfectly straight. Guitar makers and other fine detail workers use them as well as those who make hand dovetails......
   these are the two I use most often, they ARE razor sharp and very very thin kerf.....if you cut your pencil line, that's all they take out, is the pencil line......

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=55600&cat=1,42884

Have you tried the Japanese pull planes? I haven't yet but will someday...they too make perfect sense.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.