Author   Comment  
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #1 

I just finished the Hefty Dump Truck and Lo-boy Trailer and the Hefty Hi-Loader.  It was a lot of fun to make them both. I used Baltic Burch Plywood and pine. Finished off with acrylic paint and spray on glossy polyurethane. I saved a lot of money by making my on wheels.

There is a lot of pictures for the 2 projects.

Thanks for lookin’.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4286.JPG, Views: 83, Size: 36.37 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4288.JPG, Views: 85, Size: 31.29 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4283.JPG, Views: 77, Size: 30.57 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4284.JPG, Views: 74, Size: 31.94 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4290.JPG, Views: 83, Size: 36.19 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4291.JPG, Views: 90, Size: 41.79 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4279.JPG, Views: 90, Size: 35.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4280.JPG, Views: 79, Size: 35.66 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 100_4282.JPG, Views: 72, Size: 33.03 KB 

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Tony

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice job on these. I like your paint job. Do you paint your parts then assemble if so do you glue painted surfaces together or leave some wood. What type of glue did you use. Thanks Tony

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the great post. This is a fine example of the Hefty Dump Truck, Hi-Loader and Trailer. Your workmanship and finish is impeccable. The wheels are carefully crafted. How did you make them? And how did you obtain the precision shaping and fit of the parts? They look machined. We would all appreciate seeing some photos of you in your shop and a tour of your tools and techniques.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Bill

Now your are just getting to good for your own good.
What a great build.  I just love this set, and the detail you have put into it.[cool]

Makes me want to go back to school to become a better toy maker.  Wait What School?
The forum is the best tool we have for learning.

Thanks for sharing.
Ken

Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
Bill (wwalker47)
Excellent work my friend and another top notch paint job.

Same quality as your other projects you have posted like the Hot Rod, Fire Engine and the campers just to name a few.

Good idea using the dryer top and some white board for your photos, gives just a little hint of a reflection and even lighting from the white board.

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the kind words.

Tony, I paint all of the parts front and back first then glue them together. I use the gel AG glue because wood glue doesn't do very well with painted parts.

As far as the wheels go I drew a circle with a compass on 3\4” pine and drill a 1\4” hole in the center and cut it out with my scroll saw just beyond the circle. Then I made a jig to sand it to round on my disk sander. I take the round wheel to my drill press fitted with a finishing flap sander (see one here) and rock the wheel back and forth on the edges to round then off.  Then re-drill the 1\4” hole to the correct size for the axle. I had to do this 26 times for this project.

My saw is a DeWalt788
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry, Tony I, of course, got the kind of glue wrong. It is CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue. I use the gel so it won't run everywhere and since it stays put you can move the part around to the right spot before it sets.
This works well on fully painted parts.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Very nice set and a [thumb] on the patience to finish the project, nice details such as the steering wheel,headlights and removable cover on trailer and of course the painting. fine work indeed----
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #9 
A great looking set love the paint job really makes it pop

Reply with quote  #10 
Excellent toys.  Great finish and craftsmanship. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.