Author   Comment  
TheWoodfather

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

This is the first project I've made from plans available on this site, I must say I'm really impressed with how thorough and complete they were. I've made this as a gift for a friend who has just had her first child.

It probably should have been a 4-5 day project but with life getting in the way it took me about 6 weeks to knock this out! Luckily the intended recipient should be able to use it for another 5+ years. :-)

As I have no bandsaw, pretty much every part was rough cut with the jigsaw, trimmed on the scrollsaw, glued with its mating part, flush routed together, sanded, stained, assembled and finished. Seeing as I only had the occasional hour or two to work on it, I'd generally forget what stage I was up to and waste more time!

[montage-done] 

I have a bit more about it and a lot more photos on my website, thewoodfather.com

Cheers,
Mario
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Mario (TheWoodfather)
What a lovely piece of work, beautiful finish and a gift that will be passed on down thru the generations of one family or passed on to another.
Did you or do you date/sign your finished projects of this kind?

For those of you who are not familiar with this plan set ... it is the Quick n' Easy Heirloom rocking Horse.

earthrox

Reply with quote  #3 
greetings
Very nice work!
Could you tell us what type of wood was used for the project?
Thanks
TheWoodfather

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi earthrox,
   The body & rockers are pine, the dowel is tassie oak. They are stained a maple colour.
   I used a pine 'project panel' from the big box stores here in Aus, basically it's a bunch of pine offcuts that they finger joint together and make smooth panels out of. It looks great when you buy it, but when routing or cutting the constant change of grain direction means there is massive amounts of chip out. Also the different pieces of wood mean the stain does not have a consistent colour as well.
   Once I cottoned on to that I decided to make the rockers from single, wider boards, they look much nicer.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #5 
Now that looks like it could hold an adult, good and strong construction should take years of abuse from children. Great work.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
TheWoodfather

Reply with quote  #6 
Phantom scrolller -Oh, it can. :-)
   I added dowels in the legs as I foolishly stained the body & legs before gluing. I did sand it off again, but wanted the connection to be as strong as possible which is why I added the dowel.
   Udie, I intended to sign it by designing a branding iron type star that said 'Sheriff <childs name>' and hidden in the star shape my name and date. I planned on using the ink jet transfer method for this. Unfortunately my printer died and I never got around to replacing it until after the stain was applied.
   Oh well, his parents can tell him that Santa gave it to him now :-)
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
TheWoodfather
   Just a little info for you, many local office supply stores offer printing services which could have helped you get a printout and even mirror image printouts. All you have to do is bring your file to them on a USB stick for uploading to their machine hope you have some of these facilities close to you.

You mentioned 'Ink Jet transfer method' - could you expand on this method for our members and guests?
Thanks for your support.

TheWoodfather

Reply with quote  #8 
This method doesn't really suit itself to being printed elsewhere and then brought home unfortunately.

You'll see why if you watch this video by Steve Ramsay (Woodworking for Mere Mortals)

I've only used it once for a test, it worked quite well, my image was a simple, black outlined, cartoon style drawing.

I would think it would come in very handy for adding embellishments and signing toys. Though it would probably wear fairly quickly if it was placed somewhere that little fingers rubbed against often.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #9 
Nice hint one that should be of help if one needs a decal for a project in the future.
Don
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.