Author   Comment  
iggy2000

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm relatively new to making toys for young children...I have started making the Heirloom Rocking Horse and I'm concerned about the strength of the joint between the legs and the body on a toy that will (hopefully) be ridden hard by an energetic toddler. Am I reading the plans correctly that the only joinery is glue between the two surfaces (leg/body)? I've noticed in a few photos posted by others that they seem to have added dowels (or ?) through the legs into the body....
Rod T

Reply with quote  #2 
I used dowel to strengthen this area on my recent Antique 1890 Rocking Horse.
I pre-drilled a few holes through the legs and then inserted screws with the points of the screws just sticking out of the side that was to glue on. When I was glueing the legs to the body these little points of the screws stopped the legs sliding around. When I had the position just right, I drilled the screws in a little way and then clamped the leg to the body. 
When the glue was dry, I removed the screws and then drilled the holes out to fit a dowel. 
I then glued dowels in, waited for these to dry and then flush cut off the ends of the dowels.

I could have just kept drilling the screws in I guess and then just inserted a bit of dowel to cover the heads of the screws. Either way, this will add strength to the joint and also make is a lot easier to position the leg while glueing.

I did the same thing for attaching the legs to the front and rear bases and also the rockers to the bases.

Here is a pic of the flush cut saw that I use, they are only about $15-$20 in the local hardware store.
Best tool I have ever bought. Cuts dowels off flush beautifully.

51Cp-8mvidL._SL1500_.jpg 
Cheers
Rod T

iggy2000

Reply with quote  #3 
Rod, thanks for that detailed explanation, I'm going to use all of those suggestions. And I'll pick up one of those saws too, I love an excuse to add a tool to my collection!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.