Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone
I'm Dave from the UK and a new member to both this site and making wooden models in general. I have made several other models that i have copied from pictures on the Pinterest website including a model train set, a garden bird feeder and sweet dispensing machines, oh and an Owl.
I have downloaded several plans that i would love to build from this site as i become more experienced but at the moment i have made several of the free Mercedes truck plan in different woods and in different scales, 70%, 90% and full size, and i thought that i would share my pictures of them on here with you. 
The wheels/axles, mushroom end caps and steering wheels have been imported from the USA via an Ebay seller here in the UK apart from them i have made the rest.
I love just how easy these plans are to download and I have adapted it too make the different models. 
I am learning very fast and these forums are really helping a newbie like me very much.
Anyway cheers to you All
DaveIMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG                                       70% USING 1 1/2 WHEELS.IMG_1407.JPG  IMG_1409.JPG                                          90% USING 2 INCH WHEELSIMG_1441.JPG  IMG_1442.JPG

100% USING 2 1/4 WHEELS

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Wow! These are top of the line perfect builds. You are really a master woodworker. and a lot more skilled than I am at the craft. Mine look pretty good but yours are masterpieces. And welcome to the forum. We are excited to have you on board. We look forward to learning more about how to build beauties such as these. What is the finish? And how did you obtain that fine furniture look?
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Mr Lewman

Thank you so much for your very kind words you have really made my day.
My family and friends have been telling me i am doing ok but to read your post has inspired me too do more.I absolutely love making wooden models and have only recently started, after dabbling for the last couple of years, and i have invested in some good machinery.
In answer to your question about the finish i, on all the models, have put at least 2 coats of Liberon Superior Danish Oil on the bare wood and then 3-4 coats of Indoor Wood Clear Gloss Varnish afterwards and i sanded in between coats using 500 grade sandpaper....
I have tried hard to get a nice look to them and i drive my family mad trying to get the finish right.

Kind regards to you.

Dave
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #4 
Well done, Dave well done. I haven't built the Mercedes truck plan as of yet, but yours look great. I love that you used red oak (my favorite). And the Danish Oil really brings out the grain.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see more of you and your brilliant work.

Cheers!

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello Bill

Thank you for your very kind comments and welcome.
I love making these trucks as they are great for newbies like me to learn the tricks of the trade and practice.
I used Oak, Maple, the wheels i bought are Birch and the small parts are Cherry.
My favourite wood that i have used so far so, for its fantastic finish is the American Walnut.
I enjoy using contrasting woods and all your kind words are a great inspiration to make more models.
Kind regards
All the best
Dave 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Those are some fine looking trucks. Hard to believe your just learning how.

I like to get my finishes perfect but rarely approach perfection. I usually just reach a point where I just give up and go with what I have because there are more project waiting in the queue.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Nice looking toys Dave. 
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the photos.

I look forward to seeing more in the future

Cheers
Rod T

Tony

Reply with quote  #8 
Great looking trucks, I really like the wood selection and finish. Glad you joined the forum hope to see more.

Reply with quote  #9 
WOW Dave
Lovely toys there mate.
Can I just ask(as you are in UK) where do you buy your wood from?
Beginner.
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #10 
Hello Dave ! great looking toys.  Looks like you have a talent you did not know emerged.  Welcome to the Forum.  Will look forward to more of your work.  Still making mistakes here in Texas but love making sawdust !
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
WOW Dave
Lovely toys there mate.
Can I just ask(as you are in UK) where do you buy your wood from?
Beginner.

Hi there
My first models were made from offcuts from Yandles in Somerset ( they are a sawmill/shop/arts and crafts)as they hold a show twice a year, which is fantastic, and they discount their wood on them days.
The 100% model, the walnut/maple wood one is from Surrey Timbers Ltd, between the A3 and Godlaming,which is run by a South African father and son who were extremely helpful to a newbie like me.
Their wood selection is fantastic, I bought a craft pack of 5 American woods for £90 and they also do off cuts.
Both have websites and Surrey Timbers will post out as well. The wheels are from a guy on EBay in Wrexham, Wales and the finishing handles and bumpers are from Plugit.com ( Scotland ) and always hobbies.com which are in Suffolk.
I am in Wiltshire so between the two but I can highly recommend them as I know how hard it is too source nice wood for model making in this Country.
I hope this has helped please let us know how you get on and please show us some photos of your work and where you are in the UK.
All the best
Dave
Keith Harrison

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Dave,
Great looking Trucks.
 Surrey Timbers are very helpful, they are close to me. I got some wood from there to make my daughter a dragon. 

Keith
Dalboy

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Dave. A great start to toy/model making I am also from the UK and have made the Mercedes truck and like you have left it in the natural wood colours as that is my preferred way of making them

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks Dave.
I am always looking for the best place to buy wood, trying to avoid the sheds(Homebase,Wickes,B&Q etc), if anyone else has any ideas?
Beginner
empyesse

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Beginner,
I've used a company called Timbmet who will supply small quantities - if you collect. They have a branch in Glasgow, not sure how close that is to you! There are other independent timber suppliers, if you look around, most will supply in small quantities, again if you collect. Bear in mind the wood will be in long lengths and will have a sawn finish. so take a hand saw with you if you need to reduce the boards to fit in your car ( a lot of depots don't allow power tools for health and safety reasons!). You will then need a planer/thicknesser (or a friendly joinery shop) to machine the wood to size. Most suppliers are friendly if you let them know what you're making.I'm based in Devon and have used New World Timber in Exeter for a long time, they have a good range of American and European hardwoods along with plywoods, MDF etc.
Hope this helps, best wishes, Mike.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.