Author   Comment  
CraiginWyo

Reply with quote  #1 
It's a New Year, with new goals.... Mine is wanting to be successful in making some toys for my grandkids. Toys I can be proud of.   I've got the tools,  Dewalt scroll saw,  small band saw,  good sanding tools.   I LACK....good skills.  I work to fast, my projects might get a C- at best.   

My goal is to make trucks like the Yellowstone Camper,   the Freightliner,  etc. 

So here is  my question.   

Do I just buy the plans I want to build and try doing them?,  Should I start off with some that will help me work on my skills?   what type of wood will be easy and forgiving?  

I know this must be a common question,  I just couldn't find it listed in the forum , so thought I would ask.

Thanks in Advance!

Craig

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
First off welcome to a wonderful forum. You will find a lot of good information in the tips and tricks section as well as very helpful folks here in the group.

My suggestion would be to start with the free "Play Pals" plan that is offered up when you registered with the forum.

These are very easy plans that will let let you hone your skills while learning how to better use you scroll saw and other tools.

I tend to use poplar, pine, 2x4's (untreated wood of course) Scraps of wood can lead to some really nice toy's and the grand kids will love them.

Some folks make their own wheels. I have, but I tend to purchase the wheels needed as I'm one of these guy's that want to see the toy completed and after cutting them out on the scroll saw or band saw I really don't want to fuss with cutting wheels , then sanding etc. Again I would point you to the tips section for some good articles on wheels.

I'm getting long winded here but back to the Play Pals for a second. The really good thing about them are that you can modify the designs all over the place. For instance if you don't want windows then don't bother with them, if you don't like the exact shape of the cars or trucks then then change the shape to be more like you want. Also they can be sized at will so you can make them smaller or larger (which would affect the size of the wheels.

Once you get them sanded, painted, or even just use Cynthia's bee's wax pasted on them you will start having all sorts of ideals going through your head...lol

Anyway sorry for the long post, don't be a stranger, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There is no lack of advice on the board for sure . LOL

Reply with quote  #3 
The Play Pals are great to learn your tools/ measurement and cutting, after those take a look at the Quick Farm Tractor. Having made the Woody Wagon before I'd now say to do that plan previous to what you've mentioned Craig as it's quite similar but one step before in the skill level from your goals. Cherry, Poplar, Aspen and Pine should be good for you to use with ease. Hang in there and have fun,--
CraiginWyo

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for the Advice,  Ed and Bucko.   I will do and let you know how it goes!  

Thanks again.

Rookie Craig
Sarge

Reply with quote  #5 
Excellent suggestions above, I would also suggest any of the Quick and Easy plans. I did the Mack coal truck with the skid steer and the kids love them. Those plans produce awesome toys that don't take hours and hours to finish. That way you sort of reach both goals, you get to move projects along fairly quick and end up with really nice toys.

Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with the play pals suggestions. You can do a lot with them and they will let you experiment with materials and  finishes.

Making wheels is time consuming, I can make them and I have made hundreds. Now days I don't make them unless it is something I can't buy.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

JTalbot

Reply with quote  #7 
Start with the play pals, buy the wheels, make the paste wax finish. In no time, you will be hooked.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #8 
Dittos to all above. Use the pay pals as a guide and draw more of your own. Sanding is the key. Round off edges with router or course sandpaper. Definitely buy wheels by the bulk (around 9 cents / C) I do make my wheels for my Circus animal cars that I add to train. You will get bored eventually and start making other things. Train is an easy start also. Good simple one in TMP.
PaPa Jack
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.