When this plan came out I bought it and make it. That was a loooooong time ago.
Two weeks ago I decided to build another one but using different colours of wood and not painting it. I also wanted to add a little bit more to it. I don't see this as a toy or a model but rather than a mantelpiece or a conversation piece. It is like an inbetweener. J
This is the outcome:
Here are some of the changes that I made and features that I incorporated into this build.
I am not a mechanic at all but decided to modify the engine a little bit by putting on a carburettor and an air cleaner. I also use some dowels to make sparkplugs and decided to put a fan on the front.
I get hold of a piece a mesh that are used in front of a car speaker and cut it to the size that I want to fit into the radiator. I use double-sided tape and line the mesh up so that it is in the middle of the piece to be inserted. Then I use a drill the size of the holes in the mesh and drill the holes. I take the mesh off and sand the front and back of the insert. The insert is sunken 6mm (1/4") from the front of the radiator.
I wanted the roof to be closed at the back. I took the original drawing and widen it by 6mm (1/4") at the back side. (A). By doing this the back piece will rest on the middle of the backseat. The curve at point (B) I get by trial and error and eventually I get to the point where I was satisfied. Then I cut out the sides and lay one piece on the wood that I was going to use for the top of the roof and trace it accordingly. (Remember the top will also be longer now.)
I came across this picture and decide to incorporate some of this features into my build.
I add the mirrors, inside and outside to the hot rod.
I wanted the seats to be the same as in the picture and split some 8mm (5/16") dowels and glue that to the seats. I make the seats 4mm (5/32") thinner to compensate for the thickness of the half dowels.
I use different thickness and colour dowels to make the front and back side lamps and the hooter.
I put the steering wheel at an angle and add a gear lever to it.
A glovebox was added and a dowel was cut and fitted into the hole on the dashboard.
Unfortunately, due to the lockdown, I couldn't get more dark wood for the wheels so I have to improvise. I make the back wheels 25mm (1") instead of 19mm (3/4") because I want it to stand out and give a bigger appearance.
And last but not least, I build a suitcase to onto the backseat.
That’s that guys. That was my way of building this Hill Billy T-Bucket Touring Hot rod.
My next build I want to do is the Hill-billy-hot-rod-pickup.
Just a small request to John, what about a plan for an Abrahams Army tank. Please John.