Author   Comment  
StewRat

Reply with quote  #1 
This is something that has bugged me in other activities - from model making to DIY - and it's no less a problem making toys, so I'd be keen to hear what techniques you use for holding items while painting them.

It's a pretty basic thing but I don't find it easy to solve and it can easily ruin the final result. The challenge is to hold them securely enough they don't just spin about under brush contact, allow access to the whole piece, and not smudge anything.

Taking PlayPal bodies as an example, it doesn't seem practical to do them in 2 stages - sides first while holding by the edge, and then the edge when the sides are dry. Apart from the extra time/process, its pretty precise work to avoid straying onto the adjacent side, and not brush out any excess there.

I've created a pair of holders - a bit like mini tonfa/nightsticks - that go through the axle holes and when grasped in one hand hold the body quite tightly.
But they get in the way of the brush, and paint can build up around the dowels going through the axle holes. And transferring them to another dowel to dry is a fraught process.

Maybe I should just airbrush them...

Stewart
Tony

Reply with quote  #2 
I use a dowel in the axle hole. If the dowel is loose I wrap painters tape around it to get a tight fit. I do use an air brush as well, but have use a brush as well. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_4703.jpg, Views: 49, Size: 426.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_4704.jpg, Views: 69, Size: 479.94 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_4707.jpg, Views: 74, Size: 455.29 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_4705.jpg, Views: 67, Size: 491.24 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_4706.jpg, Views: 47, Size: 524.20 KB 

StewRat

Reply with quote  #3 
As a follow up to this ...

What I've ended up doing is threading cars onto 2 long dowels and airbrushing.

I've made all my PlayPal-based cars the same wheelbase - which helps with this and template routing under a perspex guard, so I can thread a number of different vehicles on, and by alternating their orientation can get a few on each "kebab".

Then I airbrush them in a large plastic storage box with an expelaire fitted to it and vented out the workshop window. Some ledges screwed to the side of the box mean I can balance the kebabs across the box to access all sides, though I mostly hold then in one hand.

Stewart
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Great idea Stewart.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
I use long-nose pliers (vise grips) to hold the dowels inserted into holes in the parts.  The long-nose pliers give me something to hold onto that I don't need to keep a death grip on to stay still. Pliers also make it much easier to put the part back in the stand.

I usually use the axel hole, but sometimes this doesn't work. When the axel hole doesn't work I drill a hole somewhere it will not show and insert the dowel. If I can't get it tight enough to suit me, I glue it in and cut it off later.

I don't move the part to another dowel for drying.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.