Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
Hot Rod Freaky Ford 27 T Bucket in Lavender/Lilac. I don't know what the color is really called. It's oops paint from Home Depot. The color varies a lot depending on the lighting or your monitor. On some monitors it looks grey I'm told. I have two monitors and it looks different on both. But not gray.

The original Plans for the 27 T Bucket called for a windshield made of wood, I did not like the look of it and the eight inch thick windshield certainly was not not strong enough made from the materials I have. Leaving off the windshield simplified the build. Lexan would probably work well for this but I didn't have any and didn't really have time to figure out how to do it. Someday I'm going to try that.

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 01.jpg 

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 01

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 02.jpg 
Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 02

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 03.jpg 
Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 03

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 04.jpg 
Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 04

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 05.jpg 
Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 05

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 06.jpg 

Wooden Toy Car - Hot Rod Freaky Ford - T Bucket - MDF - Lavender - Amber Shellac - Metallic Purple 06

#odinstoyfactory #woodentoys #woodentoycars #hotrod #toyhotrod #handmade #tbucket #buckett #27ford #roadster #streetrod #racecar #27ford

dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #2 
Really nice work. I really like the wheel color.

I know you commented about the areas that could be better but we are our worst critiques. A child will love this toy. In fact, I had a box of scraps and my grandkids play with them for hours. Made me wonder, do I really need to do all this cutting and painting. Lol.

Keep up the posts, love your work and each one inspires me to get out in the garage to do some cutting. Do to reasons beyond my control, I will be having more time to make toys soon.

Russ
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoymaker
Really nice work. I really like the wheel color. I know you commented about the areas that could be better but we are our worst critiques. A child will love this toy. In fact, I had a box of scraps and my grandkids play with them for hours. Made me wonder, do I really need to do all this cutting and painting. Lol. Keep up the posts, love your work and each one inspires me to get out in the garage to do some cutting. Do to reasons beyond my control, I will be having more time to make toys soon. Russ

My grandson has a large box of random size blocks he plays with. He kept dragging them into the house ao I just gave up and let him have them after working them over on the belt sander a bit so he would not get splinters. He is getting to the point with his building castles that he could use some consistency. I plan to make him a set of real blocks soon.

Colors, I was really skeptical about painting toys but the kids go for the colors. Plus I'm curious and like to learn new things. I'm still experimenting and learning new things about the different finishes and materials. In reality what is going to push me one way or the other is what sells well balanced against what I want to make.

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #4 
All of the freaky fords look great to me, finishing is superb. Colours are really eye catching, Nick
Trav

Reply with quote  #5 
BadBob, my son does the same thing. He's always in the shop dragging out cut offs to pile in his dump truck or playing in the sawdust. I have to  go all over the yard and pick up random blocks at the end of the day when i clean up. One of the first things I made him and his sister was a huge block set.

Great paint job. I need to give this a try.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_1972.jpg, Views: 34, Size: 444.39 KB 

FoxHollowNaturals

Reply with quote  #6 
Gorgeous, and the metallic paint on the axels really gives it a nice finished look! I love tho oops shelf too :)
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHollowNaturals
Gorgeous, and the metallic paint on the axels really gives it a nice finished look! I love tho oops shelf too 😉

Thanks, I use a lot of the metallics to paint hubs. The darker colors work well. You have to give them two or three coats to get the color because the end grain on the axle will soak up most of the color and leave the metallics on the surface. It's not unusual to have a grey haze on the first coat. Even customers that buy the cars with clear finishes like the painted hubs. It adds a certain something to the look.

FoxHollowNaturals

Reply with quote  #8 
Very clever, it really makes them pop!

If you ever have trouble finding a metallic (or don't want to pay extra for one, there is a relatively new product called dragon glaze that you can paint over any color to get a shimmering, metallic, almost iridescent finish. I picked it up in Joannes and used it on an actual dragon toy, but it reminded me of the finish on some vehicles that look blue but reflect a metallic green, not sure what the term is, but it might also give a nice effect! I am saving it to use on other pieces so I don't have to buy two versions of a color just to get the metallic look 😉
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
Great ideaa FoxHollowNaturals. And BadBob, you have done an amazing thing with finishes. Wow!
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #10 
Neat colouring really shows up.[thumb][thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
It's highly unlikely that I would pay much more than $1 US for a two-ounce bottle of metallic paint. 

All I paint with the metallics are hubs, and it only takes a drop or two. One bottle will last a long time.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.