Author   Comment  
Bostonwindows30

Reply with quote  #1 
Question for everyone? I down loaded these plans, love making them but noticed one flaw that I may be doing wrong, when I drill out the holes for the side pipes, the back of it kinda tears a little on the wood, doesnt look pleasing to the eye, I have a board under it, I use just common 2"x4" pine white board from Home Depot and was wondering is it the way I am doing it or is it the wood? Help is greatly appreciated...
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
You ask an important question.

The problem could be the type of drill bit that your are using. It could also be that the part being drilled isn't held tight against the backing board under the part. If you use a backing board of scrap wood and hold the part being drilled tightly against the backing board while drilling it should solve the problem. A Forstner bit or Brad bit will make a perfectly clean hole without any tear-out. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight. See Wood Toy News 03/12/15 for a detailed review of drill bits for wood. You can download the issue free by clicking the Wood Toy News button at the top of this page.

Please take photos of your progress on the project start to finish and share them on the forum.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #3 
Just to add to this,
I use brad point bit's and set my drill press to just where the point will poke through the back side. Then stop turn the toy over and using the point of the bit stick it in the hole and drill back into the wood and you will almost never get tear out.

thanks

Reply with quote  #4 
Okay- perfect thank you guys, greatly appreciate the tips... I will try
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.