Author   Comment  
GGPA

Reply with quote  #1 
 Just starting the Hot Rod VW. used hardboard to make templets for the larger parts since I will be making 5 to start with. will be using 3/4 for the body instead of 3 - 1/2".
20180924_072857.jpg  20180924_072937.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
I tried cardboard for templates but went to 1/4' MDF . It does a much better job

Looking good
GGPA

Reply with quote  #3 
  I have used poster board , It does not hold up well for more than a couple pieces. The hardboard is probably about 1/8 to 3/16" an cuts sands well will hold up for a long time. I would use 1/4" MDF for larger projects though.

Reply with quote  #4 
I now have a fleet of VM chassis... all cut out and glued up, off to the body shop for sanding with 120 then 220, after that shellac to the center parts not the sides where glue will go. 3 to 5 coats of shellac sanding between coats with 320 to 400 grit, then they will be ready for paint, In the mean time will start cutting the sides.
bugs.jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
I to use hardboard for the templates, I leave the paper on to identify the bits. what I need now is some form of filing system to keep all the various templates together or I am going to get lost with it all. Nice cutting GGPA, and that is before sanding.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.