Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Kel

Reply with quote  #16 
fantastic set of hot rods ,definately on my to do list
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #17 
These Hillbilly Hot Rods are great! I've got the plans and plan on doing some of them soon but I doubt they will come out as good. I have only recently been making these toy cars and I am beginning to really like it. I have always made plastic models and I am known in my area for putting flames on almost all my models. My scrollsaw skills need some honing but I think I'll get there. I have a picture of one of the Freaky Ford Hot Rods I have recently finished. I painted the flames on because what is a hot rod without flames? Anyway, just wanted to chime in for the first time. I think I'm going to like this forum.
32 Ford Sedan (4).jpg 

gsmith89

Reply with quote  #18 
Thanks for the compliment. I am not a painter so my models are unfinished. The flames are well done. I am sure you will enjoy this forum. We have a lot of very talented woodworkers. They are always willing to help. The Hot Rods was a fun project.
Peter V

Reply with quote  #19 

George, very well made Hot Rods.

I ordered the plans also to make those.

Flamepainter: are you willing to teach and explain here (preferable with (lots of) pictures) how you make those flames? 

I am airbrushing but only one colour items and then over "large"area's. Making flames add another dimension for sure.
DSC07020.jpg  DSC07022.jpg 

Peter V
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #20 
Hot rods and flames! I am also developing the old patina look as well.
Jeremy
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #21 
I also like to put flames on the hot rods. These were drawn free hand then hand painted.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190908_125045021.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 170.60 KB 

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #22 
Peter, I will attempt to put something together in the coming weeks to show how I do the flames. It isn't difficult just takes a little practice (like me using the scroll saw).

Granpa Bear, good job on those flames. I make my stencils then paint them with an airbrush. I will try to put together a tutorial soon for any that are interested.
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #23 
Those Hill Billy Hot Rods are ABSOLUTELY outta sight!!!!!
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamepainter
Peter, I will attempt to put something together in the coming weeks to show how I do the flames. It isn't difficult just takes a little practice (like me using the scroll saw).

Granpa Bear, good job on those flames. I make my stencils then paint them with an airbrush. I will try to put together a tutorial soon for any that are interested.

I hope to get a a tutorial spread in an upcoming issue of Wood Toy Weekly - great flame work Jim. Let's talk!
Peter V

Reply with quote  #25 

Clint, 

Quote:

"I hope to get a a tutorial spread in an upcoming issue of Wood Toy Weekly - great flame work Jim. Let's talk!"

Unquote

About tutorials ..... I hope there comes a tutorial also for drilling axle holes. Even with a jig with which the axle is kept in a corner, the plateau of the drill perfectly horizontal and square to the bradpoint-bit, it (often) goes slightly sloped and ends up not being straight.

Peter V
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #26 
Hi Everyone,

Jim aka Forum Member "flamepainter" posted his flame painting tutorial in the Painting Tips and Techniques section. Here's the direct link: 
https://toymakingplans.com/toymakers-forum/?p=post%2Fhowto-paint-flames-on-your-hot-rod-toy-cars-10269828%3Fpid%3D1309531607

Also to Peter V:
We are working on a tutorial that should help you when drilling accurate and straight axle holes, so stay tuned!

Cynthia 
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #27 
Great love these well built
Kevin Enlow

Reply with quote  #28 
Great job. They look awesome
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.