Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Kel

Reply with quote  #16 
fantastic set of hot rods ,definately on my to do list
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #17 
These Hillbilly Hot Rods are great! I've got the plans and plan on doing some of them soon but I doubt they will come out as good. I have only recently been making these toy cars and I am beginning to really like it. I have always made plastic models and I am known in my area for putting flames on almost all my models. My scrollsaw skills need some honing but I think I'll get there. I have a picture of one of the Freaky Ford Hot Rods I have recently finished. I painted the flames on because what is a hot rod without flames? Anyway, just wanted to chime in for the first time. I think I'm going to like this forum.
32 Ford Sedan (4).jpg 

gsmith89

Reply with quote  #18 
Thanks for the compliment. I am not a painter so my models are unfinished. The flames are well done. I am sure you will enjoy this forum. We have a lot of very talented woodworkers. They are always willing to help. The Hot Rods was a fun project.
Peter V

Reply with quote  #19 

George, very well made Hot Rods.

I ordered the plans also to make those.

Flamepainter: are you willing to teach and explain here (preferable with (lots of) pictures) how you make those flames? 

I am airbrushing but only one colour items and then over "large"area's. Making flames add another dimension for sure.
DSC07020.jpg  DSC07022.jpg 

Peter V
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #20 
Hot rods and flames! I am also developing the old patina look as well.
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #21 
I also like to put flames on the hot rods. These were drawn free hand then hand painted.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190908_125045021.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 170.60 KB 

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #22 
Peter, I will attempt to put something together in the coming weeks to show how I do the flames. It isn't difficult just takes a little practice (like me using the scroll saw).

Granpa Bear, good job on those flames. I make my stencils then paint them with an airbrush. I will try to put together a tutorial soon for any that are interested.
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #23 
Those Hill Billy Hot Rods are ABSOLUTELY outta sight!!!!!
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamepainter
Peter, I will attempt to put something together in the coming weeks to show how I do the flames. It isn't difficult just takes a little practice (like me using the scroll saw).

Granpa Bear, good job on those flames. I make my stencils then paint them with an airbrush. I will try to put together a tutorial soon for any that are interested.

I hope to get a a tutorial spread in an upcoming issue of Wood Toy Weekly - great flame work Jim. Let's talk!
Peter V

Reply with quote  #25 

Clint, 

Quote:

"I hope to get a a tutorial spread in an upcoming issue of Wood Toy Weekly - great flame work Jim. Let's talk!"

Unquote

About tutorials ..... I hope there comes a tutorial also for drilling axle holes. Even with a jig with which the axle is kept in a corner, the plateau of the drill perfectly horizontal and square to the bradpoint-bit, it (often) goes slightly sloped and ends up not being straight.

Peter V
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #26 
Hi Everyone,

Jim aka Forum Member "flamepainter" posted his flame painting tutorial in the Painting Tips and Techniques section. Here's the direct link: 
https://toymakingplans.com/toymakers-forum/?p=post%2Fhowto-paint-flames-on-your-hot-rod-toy-cars-10269828%3Fpid%3D1309531607

Also to Peter V:
We are working on a tutorial that should help you when drilling accurate and straight axle holes, so stay tuned!

Cynthia 
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #27 
Great love these well built
Kevin Enlow

Reply with quote  #28 
Great job. They look awesome
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #29 
A few more finished (or almost finished) Hot Rods. Notice the chrome on the exhaust pipes and "hubcaps" on the orange one. Another technique carried over from my plastic model building experience.
102_1059.jpg  102_1062.jpg  102_1064.jpg 

JTalbot

Reply with quote  #30 
About a week ago I finished my first freaky ford hotrod. I posted it on the Facebook page. For those of you who are not on Facebook, here is a photo. 20191004_195300.jpg 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.