Author   Comment  
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
I thought I would put some photos up showing other toy makers how I drill straight holes for axles or any other holes you wish to make for toys. I hope you all can understand them as I am not the great drawing plans.

Some Drill Bits I use making holes.jpg A sample on how I drill holes straight for axles,Head lights, Tail lights or for drill round windows..jpg Drilling holes for Head lights & tail lights.jpg 
Cheers Graham.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Graham - I like the plug hole bit for headlights.  Does the remaining center piece stay stable?
Cindy
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Cindy,
Yes but when you use the plug hole bit to drill into the end grain it wants to push away from where you want to drill the headlight. Even when it is clamped tight in my wooden vice it want to move. That is cause by the drill press table wants to move because of the end grain. I just hold tight on the drill press table with one hand so it cannot move. It happens with timber that has grain running through it try to push drill press table away from where you want to drill. I hope that helps and let me know how you get on.
Cheers Graham.
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Banjo57G (Graham)
I have a set of plug cutters and never thought of using them for making details or even the headlights in the toys. Thanks for the great post.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah I never thought of that either...what would be really cool is if on the inside of the plug cutter you could have a concave cutter that would arc the face of the headlight......hmmmmm can you hear the gears turning? lol.......
banderson

Reply with quote  #6 
The plug hole tip is fantastic.  I will have to try it.  Thanks for the tip.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #7 
I tried the plug cutter for headlights trick today, mine came out looking like eyes lol.....I think it would work awesome to produce eyes for characters etc or for specific vehicles....didn't work out so well on my land rover though :-(
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.