Author   Comment  
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,
This is the home made jigs I use for making my wheels.

Jig for holding wheels for drilling.jpg The wheel is held in the jig so the centre can drilled out.jpg The way I do some of my Wheels.jpg 
Cheers Graham.

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Banjo57G (Graham) - I like the holding jig for wheels you use with the drill press, good idea.

I'm a little confused about the router jig.
I am not understanding if you use that jig with a router in a router table or not.
I am trying to understand where you fingers might be, how close to the router bit.

So, my friend, could you post a couple of photos on how you actually use the router with that jig.
It would really help me understand your method. Thanks.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #3 
I think I have it figured out:

It is used in a router table
You need two wheels to keep the jig level/flat (or I guess you could use a blank if you're only doing one?)
You hold onto the jig and move the wheel around the router bit. So if it is 500 mm long, your fingers would be/could be anywhere from 200 mm to 500 mm from the bit.
This would be a good way to hang on to smaller items being routed.
I guess this is limited to wheels that are like 3/4" thick due to the follower bearing on the top of the router bit?

Since I'm Mr Jig, I like it. I'd suggest though to remove the need for the two clamps you could a) drill some 1/4" holes in the two parts and use a threaded rod and nuts.....you could drill them at the points of the Vees holding the wheels because you're only going to be using one at a time and these points will never be in contact with round wheels and b), you could permanently affix one half to a base board and have one half movable to clamp the wheel. Then you could have two eyebolts go through your clamping plates into this base board. This board could then be clamped to your drill press table....

I might make myself one of these since my drill press vise from princess auto is a piece of garbage....
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Udie,
   Sorry I don't have a photo on how do it and I just forgot put in the post about how I use the router jig. I just clamp it to the bench and run the router around free hand. Its not much of a method just away I came up with to dress my wheels up for the toys. It is a bit slow doing wheels this way when I got to undo the bolt all the time to change the wheels. I hope that helps to understand my method. I hope I didn't leave anything out in my other posts on methods I use.
Cheers Graham.
Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi, 
Also have to tighten down the bolt fairly tight so the wheel doesn't move while you are routing the wheels.
Cheers Graham.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #6 
As I was sketching it out, I came up with a couple of improvements that should do the trick...
   instead of having holes through the clamping faces, extend the clamp to include square blocks on the ends. I show two nuts but you could install T nuts in the back block. You can buy knobs with 1/4 x 20 inserts in them from Busy Bee, Lee Valley and many other places.....
   if you wanted to get really fancy, you could cut slots in the movable clamp face and put bolts in there to keep the face parallel to the table.....
drill press clamp.JPG

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #7 
Haha, Mr Jig is at it again....
   To overcome the issue with the wheel thickness, you could use a blank on top of the wheel to be routed. This would allow the bearing to follow this "pattern" instead of the actual wheel. Then the wheel to be routed could be any thickness down to 1/8".....
   Just thinking outloud, you could actually mount multiple wheels in this rig so you could do say 4 at once....
router clamp.JPG

Banjo57G

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Muskokamike,
I like the sketch up you did on how I can make those jigs better. 
I have been working on a new wheel clamping jig trying to make a better and
a longer one and what you have sketch up there has gave me some good ideas.
Thanks Mr Jig.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #9 
No problem Mr Banjo....the thing is, you can make that one clamp as long as you want with just different sized notches for different sized wheels.....Just thinking, you could probably just hinge one end and have a rod at the other to clamp down on your pieces.....
Udie

Reply with quote  #10 
Muskokamike - Hinging sounds like a great idea.
Put a hinge on the side for the smallest diameter wheel and on the other end use either a bolt or threaded rod with an wing-nut and you are good to go.
This looks like I jig I will have to make for my drill press also.
Thanks for the idea.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #11 
Just thinking outloud, if you wanted to quickly open and close it and keep the holes/clamps concentric, you could get a turnbuckle with an eye on one end and a hook on the other....Bolt the eye to one half the clamp and install a bolt on the other...loosen off, unhook, remove part, install new blank, hook, tighten and off you go....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.