Author   Comment  
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #1 
Cheap chainsaw mill
IMG_20200915_151905591_HDR.jpg  IMG_20200915_152105686_HDR.jpg  IMG_20200916_141600816.jpg  IMG_20200916_141616453.jpg 

Wombat

Reply with quote  #2 
You really are just an old lumberjack at heart , aren't you?
Who'd-a-thunk of using a chainsaw as the first tool in making toys?
That appears to be a commercially available chainsaw adapter guide?

I will be sure to tune in a few years from now when it has finally air-dried, been run thru a table saw, a jointer, a planer then a thicknesser, and you have enough dressed lumber to keep busy making toys for years to come.

SAWDUST??????    Nah!
Man Glitter.jpg 

LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #3 
I bought the mill off Amazon for $50 .|A week later a similar one was  on sale in Saskatoon for $25.[nono]
I have all those tools you mention plus a really good bandsaw that will do a 13" resaw.

This was my first attempt at milling . I may look at building a small kiln or just chuck it in the smoke house and pour the heat to it[crazy]
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #4 
I like that poster
Peter V

Reply with quote  #5 
Leftfinger,

very impressive. 
Next fase is cutting the trees in the wood [confused]

How long does it take to dry?

Reply with quote  #6 
A year to an inch of thickness to air dry
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #7 
Should be about 200 usable board  feet out of the 5 logs
Wombat

Reply with quote  #8 
Not a bad haul!
I have discovered I can get Poplar here in Australia, it goes by the name "Tulipwood"  from Matthews Timber, a supplier to the furniture trade  {Scientific Name: Liriodendron tulipifera} 

Hate to think what I would have to pay for 75m (240') of the standard size of 250x25mm ( 10" x 1") they supply.  Of course they will have seasoned and dressed it.
Still, I won't have to buy ( and find space for) all that lumberyard equipment [thumb]

I will get a 3m length as soon as our stage 4 Covid lockdown ends ( yawn) and we are allowed out for more than groceries within a 5km (3mile) radius from home.
Always assuming they are allowed to re-open of course.

LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #9 
 Bent log good for benches . Grain in the bend will be interesting . I cut these at 3 "
Bend1.jpg  IMG_20200918_113100349.jpg  IMG_20200918_115853191_HDR.jpg 

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey Wombat - thanks for the tip re Matthews Timber and Poplar - they are about 3km from my workshop in Sydney!

I used to source Poplar from Masters until they closed up - I believe there was a fire sale of timber but I missed it - I think I was out of town.

It was my go-to timber of choice because of its close fine grain - beautiful to work with on the lathe too.

I keep you posted re pricing and availability mate ....

T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.