Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 

In my case as thick as I can fit under the scroll saw arm.

I cut these a few days ago just to see if I could do it. The large Reindeer was cut from a from a piece of 2x8 yellow pine approximately .2x1-1/2 inches. The smaller reindeer is cut from 3/4 inch oak.

I forgot to allow for the tape. When you cut these you need to tape some of the pieces back on. At one point this made it to thick to fit under the lowest part of the arm on my scroll saw. Duh! To late and then back legs are a little off.

I cut both reindeer with a #5 skip tooth blade. There are a couple of burned spots on the pine deer because the blade was getting dull. Next time I'll change blades about halfway through.

20170926_183252_HDR.jpg  

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice reindeer. I'm just getting ready to cut some more of these myself. Mine will probably be on the smaller size since I don't seem to have much luck cutting thicker stock with the scroll saw (tends to go off square)...more practice needed!

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiejane
Nice reindeer. I'm just getting ready to cut some more of these myself. Mine will probably be on the smaller size since I don't seem to have much luck cutting thicker stock with the scroll saw (tends to go off square)...more practice needed!

To cut the thicker stock you need to go very slow. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #4 
I cut this one today from 100mm x 42mm x 19mm (4"x 1 5/8" x 3/4") I took it really slowly when cutting the 1 5/8" thickness and was pleasantly surprised when I got a such a nice, clean (and square!) cut with a #5 skip tooth. I chose the simple pattern because I usually have great difficulty with the thicker cuts.

2017-10-02 18.20.49.jpg 

I cut the the two in the pic below last year and the small one is a tiny 6cm (2 3/8") tall. The big one was cut on the bandsaw and was rather messy. After managing the simple one above, I'm definitely going to try cutting a bigger version of the more complicated one using the scrollsaw. I'm not sure how I'll go with all the tight turns on thicker stock. I got a new blade (3mm x 14tpi) for my bandsaw today so I'll try another one using that too.

reindeerbigandsmall.jpg 

Reply with quote  #5 
Nice work.  I would like to try cutting a deer from something easier to cut than the yellow pine. Poplar might work well but I would need to glue up stock there is nothing thicker than 3/4 available here.

If any one wants the patterns you can get them here.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rdredge

Reply with quote  #6 
I cut everything from 1/16 to 1 1/2 inch pieces with a #5 ultra reverse blade.  Do have to go slower with 1 1/2 inch as stated above.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
I think slow is a bad way to put this. What you need to do is let the blade cut at the speed it wants to cut and not force it. This changes with blade sharpness, teeth per inch, blade style, the wood, grain direction, thickness and so on. Its more of a feel thing. You get better with practice.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.